Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello Everyone :)

 

Pretty sure this is where this goes as it is to do with HNC Computing :)

 

 

Just wondering if anyone could explain to me what a database enviroment is, what a database platform is and what database software applications are?

 

I believe that database enviroments are what the databases are designed for, e.g accounts etc.

 

I think the database platforms are Oracle, MySQL, M$ SQL Server etc.

 

And that software applications are like Opera, web forums, mobile phones, phone books etc?

 

I am on the right tracks or upside down in the wrong direction? :S

 

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Posted

Sounds pretty much right to me.

As I understand things (from working with this stuff for a while, supplemented by a quick google):

Database environment: Everything around a database - users, business procedures, other apps, requirements, etc

Database Platform: often refers to just the database engine (mysql , oracle, postgres, etc), but can include the hardware which runs the db

Database software applications: Any program that interfaces with the database; be it a web-application that uses the db for logins and orders, or a custom-built warehouse management app in COBOL.

 

I don't guarantee the accuracy of anything I've said here, but hope it helps in some small way.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...