Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Server 2008 AD issue across forest trust with Server 2003 R2 AD


Recommended Posts

Posted
We have 2 seperate Domains with a forest level trust. On one Domain we have 3 Server 2003 R2 DC's. On the other Domain we have 1 Server 2008 DC. The trust works just fine as I can browse each Domain from the other, however I need to add user access to the shares on each Domain... I upgraded the 2003 R2 AD Schema to the 2008 AD Schema using adprep /forestprep, so that all the AD's have the same Schema. When I try to add a user to a share, I am able to change the Location to the other Domain, but my problem is that I cannot add a user to any shares from one Domain to the other Domain and vice-versa. Any advice would be appreciated.:censored:
Posted

no errors at all. on a share, when i chose the sharing tab, or permissions and try to add a user from "Select Users, Computers or Groups", i can choose the other domain from the "Locations" button, but when i type in administrator (or any other user) and then select the "Check Name" button, I get "Name Not Found"

 

Specifically:

 

An object named "administrator" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Is the Trust in place and verified?

Just because it's there does not mean it's working.

 

I have had problems in the past establishing trusts between disparate domains.

 

The trick is to create an identical Domain Admin level account in both domains and use this to establish the domain trust.

 

I would also check/verify/re-establish the trust using this account.

Make sure the clocks are in sync between domains and the time zones match.

Be sure that each DC in each domain can ping each other by Name and IP.

Eg dc1.xyz.com > dc1.abc.com

If your DNS is not configured to do the lookups between your domains KDC,Keberos,LDAP all fail and you will not get the results you are expecting.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...