Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I spend a lot of time tinkering with old laptops etc. and find that with some of the more 'well built' devices I'm struggling to get the light I need to work on them sufficiently, especially with the nights drawing in now.
I've tried head torches, but they never seen to quite light up the parts I need in the way I'd like, so have been contemplating getting a nice LED desktop work light with magnifier built in, similar to this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MACASA-Dual-Lens-Magnifying-Combination-Magnifier/dp/B0FCY7SPK6?crid=13Q0E0Y7UDW78&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.q2l5qjbE-Bo6gELqP-QLGtzY_mNlFh20yCey6Ff2Yl9GDwn43SbTbcbh08amJRnDaiLI4FPlkRpxDRdnERpy0jeEjsfTK4jxonCyvHh-FPLnV5grO0vcVKct575ORJXkLPAQJlW1NgoalOGs21Bzfs3HQstQimkrfy-G2WlnvPeQmMYuVKrEmZOp36ef26cOXhFGqRGToLdFf4rkbg39zztF0qyK9_WiDTbXMIxumyTUCdfOiAWaMuvvvdN0-qv97_D3OG7Qf1bR6OVDYDSa9RusEbzmY31TZOB6O-YLQEg.MS5n7n4TNroCqJEjGTFyR0Ilbl98EHJLySaA4ekAgKs&dib_tag=se&keywords=desktop%2Bwork%2Blight&qid=1790171307&sprefix=desktop%2Bwork%2Blight%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-39&th=1

 

If anyone has one they can recommend, then please let me know, it would also have to have a nice bright light with dimming options though, and I'm not sure the USB powered ones will cut it.
 

Posted
2 hours ago, Dos_Box said:

Is it plenty bright enough?

I find it more than bright enough for what I use it for. Consider that the LEDs are only going to be like 15cm away from the thing you're working on. 

It measures as around 9-10k lux, compared to about 100 with just the room light (if that means anything).

Posted
16 hours ago, Rob_D said:

I find it more than bright enough for what I use it for. Consider that the LEDs are only going to be like 15cm away from the thing you're working on. 

It measures as around 9-10k lux, compared to about 100 with just the room light (if that means anything).

Well, I ordered it, Ideally when working on Apple laptops, 15 cm's doesn't give you a lot of room to work with, but should be fine as 4x means I won't have to adjust the focus length too much and end up working too far from the device.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...