Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Our Computing Department want a better Python editor, and are doing the selection "properly" by speaking to me first! They would be happy with either PyCharm or IntelliJ, so in part the decision comes down to how easily they install across a network. Do any of you have experience of deploying either/both of these?
Posted
They're the same thing really, everyone's moved to VSCode at this point. More educational based I'd also look at Thonny, can pip install it.
Posted
They're the same thing really, everyone's moved to VSCode at this point. More educational based I'd also look at Thonny, can pip install it.

 

Thanks. VSCode looks like it will need admin creds to run the various updates, so that could get tedious. Thonny looks promising though, and seems to be a one-line command installer which helps. I'm not familiar with PIP install, what's that?

Posted

It's how you install extensions to python, however if you're not familiar with it probably stick to trying to get the installer to install for all users

 

I use choco to install updates, first install with choco, then have a scheduled tasking running choco upgrade all (probably should have a local cache though)

Posted
It's how you install extensions to python, however if you're not familiar with it probably stick to trying to get the installer to install for all users)

 

The installers definitely work for All Users but they're .exe installers so a bit more fiddly to deploy. it is a single command line though, so not hugely involved to go round all the relevant computers and run a batch file containing it.

Posted
Or put a bat file on the server and have them all run it once on boot with a gpo, just have to add a check for it already being installed

 

I seem to recall trying that before with something else, and it not working. I'll give it another go, as I might be confusing it with a different with direct allocation in SCCM.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...