Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamf newbie - WiFi icon setting not working?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi gang,

TL;DR version:

Using Jamf with Entra to authenticate students.

Need to hide the WiFi icon from the students.

No built-in configuration profile payload to do so.

Think it's a User Level configuration, rather than computer level.

Can't apply User Level configuration to users because they are local users created using Entra credentials.

Thoughts?

 

Ranting version:

First off: hate Macs. Hate that I have five suites up on our top floor and I seem to spend all my support time in the bloody Mac suite.

 

We bought Jamf. Because the answer to "we bought PCs but more expensive, then we bought apps but more expensive" is of course "we bought an MDM to justify the expense of the first bit".

 

The little darling cherubs (god love 'em) keep clicking the WiFi icon. (Apparently this is NOT in the menu bar, despite being in the menu bar, it is apparently in the control center). They then try to connect to a WiFi which causes all kinds of problems for the ethernet connection. (For reasons the WiFi is unauthenticated at connection and authenticated via capture portal.)

 

We want to take the WiFi icon away from the darlings and while there is a "Do not show the WiFi icon" setting inside system settings, inside Control Center, there doesn't seem to be a pre-prepared Configuration Profile payload for it.

 

I did find this in Jamf forums

 

However it doesn't work for me and I think that's because it's a USER level configuration, rather than a Computer Level?

 

We use M365, our users are Entra Users. The authentication via Jamf is Entra based (don't get me started on the password reset debacle/ can't delete that folder because I'm only the system administrator nonsense).

 

I -THINK- because our users are Entra users, User level Configuration Profiles cannot apply?

 

So my question is: how do I hide this icon and stop the little delights from messing up my Mac Suite and putting me back in there with the awful, awful devices?

 

NB: Only a few users are Admins and Super Users. Obviously student accounts are not, so I don't know how to make a script run, on login that requires SUDO at the start.

Posted (edited)

Hmph.

Took some more digging but I stumbled on the answer: between 2023 and 2024, Apple changed the context of the WiFi icon from "menuExtras" to "Control Center".

I presume this is documented somewhere?

Anyway, if anyone else is having this issue:

REMOVE WiFi icon in Sonoma - Jamf Nation Community - 315435

 

"Domain" is now: com.apple.controlcenter

Plist required is:



 
   WiFi
  8
 

 

So it's not "This key is false", it's now "this key is 8" which makes perfect sense and is easy to use and administrate.

Edited by JSpaced
  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...