tech-man Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Hi I need to move student files to another server, how can I copy them to another server and retain NTFS permissions? Thanks Stuart
kmount Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 It comes with the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit. Links here and the Wikipedia link here. 1
kmount Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 I found xcopy limiting, moved from that to xxcopy, and then onto Robocopy.
Geoff Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 robocopy \\server1\share \\server2\share /MIR /SEC Does the job. Takes ages though. 1
tech-man Posted July 28, 2008 Author Posted July 28, 2008 I did robocopy o:\ednet o:\ednet /E /COPYALL is that ok? Stuart
Geoff Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Yep, the only difference between what I use and that is that it wont remove files that exist on the destination that do not exist on the source.
FN-GM Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 If you like a GUI you might find this easier to use - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d00e3eae-930a-42b0-b595-66f462f5d87b&DisplayLang=en 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now