Ditto Posted March 14, 2023 Posted March 14, 2023 Testing the powers of Edugeek - I bet you'll crack this one! I have a work laptop that allowed different users to login (roaming). This could be done by selecting 'Other user' at login, or clicking windows icon bottom selecting users and away you go. The laptop performed extremely badly and our external IT provided said, "c'est mort", send it to the grave. I had other ideas..... I created an Win 10 pro ISO USB, reinstalled and hey-presto, like a phoenix it rises from the ashes. I'll be honest, it's no rocket-ride, but it's acceptable for our pool of onsite laptops. As part of setting the device up, a local 'Admin' type account was created. So, I call IT provide to ask for it to return to the work domain. They say just login in under domain. So I did, although a little unusual way for me. Under instruction, via Accounts, and logging in where it says use a school or work account. So far so good, and it appears policies lead to some software installs over a period of time leading to Sophos installing, Connectwise, a monitoring service and it's registered on 'Automate' - those last two things maybe the same?! It attempted Bitlocker but said it contradicted itself! Oh, and a local IT provider admin account has appeared. Sort of OK, but on rebooting, there is no choice to logging as another user on the splash screen - it appears I have to go to the local 'Admin' account that was setup just to install windows then 'work account'. Additionally, clicking the windows icon, user name does not result in 'switch user' being shown. Currently it has our IT department baffled. A couple of times they have said it could be because I'm not onsite, but that's quickly dispelled when I point out we have no onsite servers - we are solely cloud based so I presume 'cloud azure' if that's the right lingo. The only think I can think if doing is to reinstall OS from scratch, but use domain account immediately, but hoping there is a way to get this laptop work in the same way as all the others.
TwistedHelixis Posted March 14, 2023 Posted March 14, 2023 (edited) Deleted, I read your post wrong. Edited March 14, 2023 by TwistedHelixis
Ditto Posted March 15, 2023 Author Posted March 15, 2023 Aww, I was getting excited for a moment! Anyone else? It's now gone to the next level of support - it's oddly interesting watching them trying to remotely resolve the issue. No joy yet. Would love to get there first though!
Ditto Posted March 15, 2023 Author Posted March 15, 2023 And only a few minutes later it appears to be resolved. I'm no sure how relevant it was, but one change was to add a regedit key to enable something called along the lines of 'fastswitch'. The other more relevant fix seems to be related to Intune. It appears the linking to domain had not completed successfully. When they tried with their account, it failed allegedly because their account was not licensed for InTune! So, they got me to login with my work account and that allowed domain registration to complete properly. Just gotta love Windows!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now