JRA Posted October 25, 2022 Posted October 25, 2022 Hello everyone - getting to grips with 365 admin and the ins and outs of the admin centre. Hoping to get a thing done if it's possible. Students don't have individual accounts. Or rather didn't until I got to creating them this week. Test accounts in (a couple for each year group) just not thrown the switch yet. Have made some security groups, one for each class in AD. Not mail-enabled but still only for testing at this point. Students and staff (the relevant teachers and any addons/TAs etc) will be members of the AD groups. So, I'd like ideally to have a Teams Team created for each AD group, with students just as members and any staff as owners. Is there any way to go about this? Has anyone done things this way even? Thanks everyone.
chaplic Posted October 25, 2022 Posted October 25, 2022 Do you individual pupils have attributes that describes what class they are in? You can use them to create dynamic groups in O365, and resultant teams. Assuming you've tied up the JML proces would mean when johnny moves from one form to another his membership change automatically. I dont think there's an elegant way to do what you want with your idea. 1
JRA Posted October 25, 2022 Author Posted October 25, 2022 Do you individual pupils have attributes that describes what class they are in? You can use them to create dynamic groups in O365, and resultant teams. Assuming you've tied up the JML proces would mean when johnny moves from one form to another his membership change automatically. I dont think there's an elegant way to do what you want with your idea. Thanks. And pants, I would have thought that synchronising groups between AD and AAD for the sake of useful stuff would actually be a thing. Shows how much I know... I don't but it's not to say I can't add in an attribute in AD when the accounts are created for the sake of keying them to something. E.g. could make the AD attribute "telexNumber" or somesuch their class. Would that then be easier to do? Had quite hoped there'd be some graceful way of doing it. If really not I guess I can make all the Teams up manually... :/ Cheers again though for the help.
chaplic Posted October 25, 2022 Posted October 25, 2022 Firstly before we get too carried away, dynamic groups in Azure AD is an Azure P1 license or similar It supports quite a few properties (probably not telexNumber off top of my head) but that general approach would work. But you can also create a dynamic group based on membership of a group so that might be a solution that would require no change to on prem practises and potentially allow someone to be in two teams. If you want to go wild you can now go the other way and have a group in O365 sync back to prem but I think that causes more problems than it solves 1
JRA Posted October 25, 2022 Author Posted October 25, 2022 (edited) Firstly before we get too carried away, dynamic groups in Azure AD is an Azure P1 license or similar It supports quite a few properties (probably not telexNumber off top of my head) but that general approach would work. But you can also create a dynamic group based on membership of a group so that might be a solution that would require no change to on prem practises and potentially allow someone to be in two teams. If you want to go wild you can now go the other way and have a group in O365 sync back to prem but I think that causes more problems than it solves Azure AD Free only here so whilst I understand some of that, probably a no-go. And no, not brave enough at all to let that write back to my local AD that seems to now be the last bastion of sanity I actually have lol! Is it easy enough to create a dynamic group based on being in an AD group? If so is there an idiot's guide anywhere? And to ask a daft question a dynamic group can be made into a Teams Team, that right? EDIT - oh hang on I found a thing... https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/groups-create-rule Thanks again also. Edited October 25, 2022 by JRA
chaplic Posted October 25, 2022 Posted October 25, 2022 Cant do much harm steaming on and doing it, note they do take a while to build. I'd still start small! Group membership for Azure AD dynamic groups with memberOf - Azure AD - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn You create the dynamic group then when happy 'team-ise' it Overview of dynamic membership for teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn 1
JRA Posted October 25, 2022 Author Posted October 25, 2022 Cant do much harm steaming on and doing it, note they do take a while to build. I'd still start small! Group membership for Azure AD dynamic groups with memberOf - Azure AD - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn You create the dynamic group then when happy 'team-ise' it Overview of dynamic membership for teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn You're a gent thanks for all that. I'm being turfed out shortly but I'll check those out.
Netwacky87 Posted December 28, 2022 Posted December 28, 2022 Has anyone reliably changed Teams groups to Dynamic teams groups based on AD Group Membership? After a bit of research it turns out the 'validate users' button on Azure doesn't work yet but often I just get 'Cannot save group' This is the syntax i'm using - user.memberof -any (group.objectId -in [‘ON-PREMISE-ID’]) Thanks!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now