Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All

I need to move a recovery partition on a Windows 2016 VM. The C: drive is getting low on space so I added an extra bit but the second recovery partition is stopping me from extending the volume.

I have done some research and it seems pretty straightforward to do this using a combination of Diskpart, BCDEdit and WMIC commands. My problem is in interpreting the output from the BCDEDIT /enum all command.

Firstly this is what the disk layout currently looks like:

Capture.JPG

 

I used Diskpart to give drive letters to the two recovery partitions (R: for the 300mb and S: for the 450mb)

I then ran BCDEDIT /enum all and this shows two Boot Loader sections that both refer to the WinRE.wim file:

 

Capture.JPG

 

And:

Capture.JPG

 

Reagentc /info shows that the S: partition is the active recovery partition:

Capture.JPG

 

For completeness this is the diskpart list of partitions on harddisk 0

Capture.JPG

 

And confirmation that the S: drive is the 450mb partition:

Capture.JPG

 

There is no mention of the R: partition on the output at all.

There is a hidden folder on C: that holds a winre.wim file.

I can find no files or folders at all on the S: partition even looking for hidden and/or system files.

 

I need to know if this means that the 450mb S: is basically no longer needed and can be deleted and added back to the C: drive. I have noted that the second Boot Loader section is labelled with an identifier that is referred to in the first section and I'm not sure of the significance of that reference. If I do need to have the 450mb partition I can always recreate it at the end of the process after I have extended the C: size.

 

I can't find much about how to interpret this online so any assistance or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark P.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...