networkmangler Posted September 13, 2021 Posted September 13, 2021 I have been asked to deploy GIMP to the computer science rooms for the students to use during lessons I have created a package that installs fine over the network When I open it, it works fine for an admin user but a "normal" student and staff accounts get error messages. The error is "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe" fatal error: unhandled exception If they click OK on the error, GIMP closes. I'm assuming it's a file permission issue but I don't know how to resolve it. Event viewer seems to be pointing to "script-fu.exe" and "KERNELBASE.dll". Has anyone got any tips? or ideas? on how to resolve it?
supportman Posted September 13, 2021 Posted September 13, 2021 (edited) Hmm not sure really, we deploy it here to all machines from PDQ deploy and it works fine. This is the process steps %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\taskkill.exe /f /fi "IMAGENAME eq gimp-*" gimp-2.10.24-setup-1.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /ALLUSERS /NORESTART /LOG=.\output.log Edited September 13, 2021 by supportman
mavhc Posted September 13, 2021 Posted September 13, 2021 How did you package it? Annoyingly the Glimpse renamed GIMP project is now on hiatus, they had an MSI installer I use https://community.chocolatey.org/packages/gimp
networkmangler Posted September 13, 2021 Author Posted September 13, 2021 I created a batch file. The command is: "gimp-2.10.24-setup-3.exe" /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP- /ALLUSERS I have tried manually installing gimp on a computer and the users get the same error so I don't think it's to do with the network install. It must be a user access thing. I don't know if it's trying to write to somewhere locally on the C drive, not being able to and crashing. I have just discovered that if I login as an admin and open GIMP, then switch user on the computer and login with a student account I can then open GIMP fine. It's as if the admin user has opened a file or started a process which the student user doesn't have access to but by starting the process/opened the file as an admin it works fine I need to narrow down what GIMP is doing when it starts up
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now