meakjoe Posted November 9, 2020 Posted November 9, 2020 Hi all, Has anyone had any luck setting the default language for the online versions of PowerPoint/Word etc? I've tried setting the preferredlanguage attribute for the AD user to en-gb and syncing that to 365, also set the OneDrive for Business regional/languauge settings to English UK. After changing all that, when I create a new PowerPoint, it straight away says English US for the default proofing language. Any help appreciated.
meakjoe Posted November 10, 2020 Author Posted November 10, 2020 Has anyone else experienced this issue?
nadeem Posted November 10, 2020 Posted November 10, 2020 (edited) Its a setting in the Office365 portal https://myaccount.microsoft.com/settingsandprivacy/language Edited November 10, 2020 by nadeem
meakjoe Posted November 10, 2020 Author Posted November 10, 2020 Thank you, that's all set to English UK which I had to do from the AD attribute. Even with that all set correctly a new PowerPoint created in OneDrive is set to English US which is not what we want.
nadeem Posted November 10, 2020 Posted November 10, 2020 Does this link help? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployOffice/overview-deploying-languages-microsoft-365-apps Or it might be changing a default language option in Sharepoint.
meakjoe Posted November 10, 2020 Author Posted November 10, 2020 Nope that doesn't work either, its the Online version that I'm trying to set. Its quite annoying as even if you create a PowerPoint within the installed Office, which is set to UK with GPO, then sync it to OneDrive, it changes to US when opened online. Changed every language setting I can find, including browser and Windows to UK but to no effect.
nadeem Posted November 10, 2020 Posted November 10, 2020 Just a thought, do you only have access to the Office365 Admin or do you also have access to Azure Admin? It wouldn't entirely surprise me if there was a setting in the Azure Admin portal - I'll try and take a look later
Sonic3 Posted November 12, 2020 Posted November 12, 2020 Hi all, Has anyone had any luck setting the default language for the online versions of PowerPoint/Word etc? I've tried setting the preferredlanguage attribute for the AD user to en-gb and syncing that to 365, also set the OneDrive for Business regional/languauge settings to English UK. After changing all that, when I create a new PowerPoint, it straight away says English US for the default proofing language. Any help appreciated. Some luck when using a PowerShell script I found and modified. Please only use if you are confident with PowerShell scripts and Office 365. Replace 'YOUR DOMAIN', 'XXXX' etc.: SetLanguageAndRegionForAllUsers.ps1
meakjoe Posted November 12, 2020 Author Posted November 12, 2020 Thanks for that, you've run that for your environment I take it? When you create a new PowerPoint file from the online version of PowerPoint, does it set the proofing to English U.K automatically?
Sonic3 Posted November 12, 2020 Posted November 12, 2020 Thanks for that, you've run that for your environment I take it? When you create a new PowerPoint file from the online version of PowerPoint, does it set the proofing to English U.K automatically? Admittedly not at my school but another workplace with around 100 users. Yes, 'English UK' appears at the bottom left in PowerPoint and it corrects the word 'colour' if you try spelling it 'color' The code is a mix of snippets of code I've found and modified; it tries to cover all bases. It could do with a tidy-up but it does work. Note that it requires you to connect to your Office 365 tenant first, before running the script. 1
Lxshm Posted June 5, 2025 Posted June 5, 2025 student changed it to chinese and i cant change it back, usually when i change it signs you out and then changes but doesnt work for some reason
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now