Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

I need to clarify some steps to do with an O365 Migration as follows -

 

Source is an LA based O365 solution, so I don't have admin access

 

Destination is a vanilla O365 solution, so I do have admin access

 

1. Setup new tenancy and provision users with a CSV

 

2. Ask LA to rename nominated accounts to onmicrosoft.com, release .sch.uk domain, update TAG and set passwords to a complex one of my choice

 

3. Update nameservers at new registrar

 

4. Complete DNS changes so .sch.uk is registered in new vanilla O365 tenancy

 

5. Any new emails received will automatically arrive in vanilla O365 tenancy

 

6. Setup MS Outlook and connect to required onmicrosoft.com account in turn - download mailbox, contacts, calendar as required

 

7. Merge PST in MS Outlook to new vanilla O365 mailbox in turn

 

8. Check for any OneDrive files (there are no Sharepoint sites), but I'm expecting few OneDrive files/folders for most users

 

9. Once complete configure AAD for SSO logon

 

10. Drink lots of coffee

 

Does this sound about right in terms of strategy?

Guest Guest
Posted

I did pretty much the same when we moved to our own office 365 tenant.

 

We used EDB mails to migrate the emails etc over. You feed it a csv with email addresses and passwords and it automates the process and isn't overly expensive

Posted

In between steps 2 and 3, also ask LA to autoforward emails from them to you, e.g. [email protected]>[email protected]. Means any people still using old replying internally will conitnue to work and any MX record caching a nonissue.

 

I've seen freeing a DNS name up and being ready to reuse take minutes. Or hours.

 

Consider SPF but I don't think you'll have an issue if it was setup for O365 already

 

Distribution Lists/ boss secretary type permissions?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...