JRA Posted January 9, 2020 Posted January 9, 2020 Hi all - as per title really. One of our data team wants it, looks kinda handy. Anyone else use it? Is it wonderful/awful? Thanks all.
jthompson Posted January 9, 2020 Posted January 9, 2020 I used it recently to import students' email addresses. It was far nicer than having to use the Capita patch process to do it. It's the creation of another EduGeek member, although I'm not sure if it's still being maintained: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/sims-bulk-import/99098-sims-bulk-import.html 1
matt40k Posted January 11, 2020 Posted January 11, 2020 Yup, I wrote it a number of years ago. I’ve since moved on and haven’t touched SIMS for years and years. I did look at handing it over to SalamanderSoft at the time as they have a more premium fully automated solution so it was a nice freeium option but Capita didn’t like that. Supposedly Capita are putting bulk email/telephone support into SIMS, no idea when, it should be before SIMS 8 Terms of “is it safe?” - it loads the SIMS libraries on your machine, so it’s using the same logic as if you use the SIMS application and do it manually. So it will work till Capita make a breaking change and it will just not work. The only other comment is, is the same as any bulk import routine. If you load noreply@school for everyone- it will do just that. You can’t escape that. In terms of rollback, you cannot remove, that’s all manual. So if you bulk import 1,000 by mistake, you’ll never do it again after manually removing them, 1 by 1. 1
JRA Posted January 13, 2020 Author Posted January 13, 2020 Yup, I wrote it a number of years ago. I’ve since moved on and haven’t touched SIMS for years and years. I did look at handing it over to SalamanderSoft at the time as they have a more premium fully automated solution so it was a nice freeium option but Capita didn’t like that. Supposedly Capita are putting bulk email/telephone support into SIMS, no idea when, it should be before SIMS 8 Terms of “is it safe?” - it loads the SIMS libraries on your machine, so it’s using the same logic as if you use the SIMS application and do it manually. So it will work till Capita make a breaking change and it will just not work. The only other comment is, is the same as any bulk import routine. If you load noreply@school for everyone- it will do just that. You can’t escape that. In terms of rollback, you cannot remove, that’s all manual. So if you bulk import 1,000 by mistake, you’ll never do it again after manually removing them, 1 by 1. Ooh thanks massively for that! And congrats on it too! We'll use it happily, cheers. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now