phreak Posted June 24, 2019 Posted June 24, 2019 Hi there, I am looking at moving a relatively small but aging sharepoint 2010 service onto SharePoint online. I believe our O365 license covers this but I just wanted to see if anyone else had used the Microsoft Migration API or any other 3rd party software? Specifically I wanted to know what level of metadata is maintained if you use the free Microsoft API to migrate it. I think I read somewhere that using it (via a temp Azure storage upload) will maintain versioning, but that some of the metadata is lost. I also seen there is a powershell migration option. Anyone else had any experience of this?
supportman Posted June 24, 2019 Posted June 24, 2019 We migrated from Sharepoint 2010 onsite to Sharepoint online a long time ago now. But all I did was setup the design again from scratch and then drag and drop the files into the online version. We kept the 2010 online for a few years but changed the shortcuts, eventually people forgot about the 2010 version and have used online ever since. I didn't see the point in migrating the entire thing and it was a good idea as its quite a big jump in features and permissions.
phreak Posted June 24, 2019 Author Posted June 24, 2019 Thanks for that, however in my case there are 2 particular users who heavily rely on the version history/control so migrating that information is crucial. It is my understanding that if you use the drag/drop method it overwrites all the metadata such as the last changed date and who by, is this right? While that is less than ideal, if I can at least bring over the rest of the version history that would potentially be a workaround for me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now