jonbd Posted April 4, 2019 Posted April 4, 2019 I'm looking to get Azure AD connect up and running so we can sync users and have SSO for OneDrive/Office365, but wanted to get a couple of bits straight in my head before I dive in. Our office365 domain and internal AD don't match (school.sch.uk vs school.internal) so I need to add a UPN suffix to sort this. usernames are the same though, so SCHOOL\jbloggs will be jbloggs@ school.sch.uk. Can anyone help answer the following at all? 1 - Just adding the UPN Suffix to AD won't affect anything will it, it will just sit there until I apply it to a user? 2 - If I change the UPN suffix of a user, can they still log onto a PC with the usual username and password, or would they then have to use their email address instead? 3 - If they can login as usual (username not email address), would that affect SSO to Office 365/Onedrive, or will it not matter? Thanks Jon
Boredguy Posted April 4, 2019 Posted April 4, 2019 1 - adding a suffix rarely breaks anything 2 - With the new suffix, users still logon as normal, or they can choose to use their e-mail address 3 - Depending on how you configure your browsers for SSO, your users may be prompted to enter their e-mail address to login to 365 web services (but not their password). Logging into the workstations is not affected in any way 1
chaplic Posted April 4, 2019 Posted April 4, 2019 Agree with boredguy, I've changed UPNs for tens of thousands of users and only seen an issue with one random app Additional to 3) though, changing a UPN (e.g. [email protected] to [email protected]) is a right PITA to do in bulk, so make sure you start with the right one. I'd also ensure that UPN==Email address 1
jonbd Posted April 5, 2019 Author Posted April 5, 2019 Thanks guys. My main concern was that adding the UPN would affect current users in some way while I test, but it sounds like I can add the UPN and some test users without issue.
Boredguy Posted April 5, 2019 Posted April 5, 2019 Agree with boredguy, I've changed UPNs for tens of thousands of users and only seen an issue with one random app Additional to 3) though, changing a UPN (e.g. [email protected] to [email protected]) is a right PITA to do in bulk, so make sure you start with the right one. I'd also ensure that UPN==Email address To be honest, it's not that bad to update in bulk, Select a load of users in AD Users and Computers -> Right click -> properties -> Account Tab, tick UPN suffix and select the one from the drop down and click ok. Now if the e-mail addresses does not follow the same naming convention as the network user name, that is a pain
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now