Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have been using Publish to SIMS online to make written reports available to parents through SIMS Parent App.

 

Three things have crossed my mind:

 

1. If I was to make a change to the uploaded report and then published it again with the same name - would it overwrite the original in terms of what the parent sees or would they still see the original eg. as in Original Report and Original Report (2) ?

 

2. Along the same lines, is it possible to delete a published document so that it no longer appears on the Parent App? (This is not a loaded question btw as I have no need to do this...yet!)

 

3. Would it be possible to set myself up as a "parent" of fictitious students in each year group so that I could easily check on how well reporting is working?

 

-

 

Trackers

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Hi, I've done all 3 of those things and #3 is the easiest way to test your theories.

 

1. yes it's a direct replacement

2. yes you can

3. I just asked some legit parents if i could be added as a 2nd or 3rd parental contact on their children for testing. It helps that one is a staff member and one is a personal friend... either way you aren't getting access to anything you don't already have access to.

  • Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

Removing permissions from online reports enables SIMS users to make online reports unavailable without deleting them from the SharePoint server. For example, if a published report was incorrect, removing all permissions would make the report unavailable and set the permissions in SIMS to False but does not delete the report from the SharePoint server. A corrected report could be published later and the permissions in SIMS would be updated to True. Deleting the report on the SharePoint server would not update SIMS in this way.

 

  1. In SIMS, select Routines | SLG | Publish Documents to display the Search for Documents to Publish to SLG browser.
  2. Select the search criteria for the reports from which you wish to remove permissions then click the Search button to populate the Documents panel.
  3. Select the tick box next to each student whose report you wish to make unavailable, or click the Select All button to select all the reports for every student.
  4. Click the Publish Selected button to display the Publish Documents to SLG dialog.
  5. Select the format that the report was originally published in from the Format drop-down list.
  6. Ensure the check-boxes for the roles that should no longer have access to the selected online reports are not selected. All other fields should be left blank.
  7. Click the OK button to display a progress bar as the permissions are updated.
  8. When the permissions have been successfully updated, the Conversion dialog is displayed. Click the OK button to complete the permissions update.
    -taken straight from the contextual help on the publish slg/sims online page

Edited by bobsmith
Posted

I think I get the idea. I'd need to have your step by step with me though !

I see the reference to SLG....I know that i have been publishing to SIMS Online...I am not sure what SLG is.

 

Thanks for the guidance - hopefully I won't need to use it.

 

Thanks again bobsmith.

Posted

SLG is SIMS Learning Gateway (disgusting sharepoint system) - they've shoe-horned the SIMS Online functionality into the same menus in SIMS.

 

you're welcome.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...