Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi people,

 

I have been looking into getting remote access to a file servers for staff here at the school (So they can access my documents remotely). One option my boss wants me to consider is using SharePoint since SharePoint services is free and we even have licenses for the full version. I have found a few sites that point me in the right direction but it doesn't seem easy.

 

Has anyone done this or does anyone know of a good resource for setting this up? Also on another note would you recommend staying clear of this sort of setup?

 

 

Thanks ;-)

Posted

You dont have to have sharepoint to publish files that are stored in a normal share on the server. You could enable webdav on the server and publish it through IIS with directory browsing.

 

This means when a user goes to the URL from IE they can see the files listed. If they navigate through My Network Places/Networks they can see it like it was in explorer.

 

I have some instructions somewhere if you want them?? Let me know

Posted

Yes please, that sounds good thanks. At the very least I would like to look into it and see what I could do.

 

I assume the users would have to logon to the web site and you could then only give them rights to look at the folders you wanted right? :confused:

 

Thanks

FB ;-)

Posted

  1. Install IIS 6 on the on the server.
  2. Open IIS 6 Manager
  3. Right click on Default Website - Properties
  4. Go to Directory Security
  5. Under Authentication and access control click Edit
  6. Uncheck Enable Anonymous Access
  7. Check Integrated Windows Authentication
  8. Check Basic Authentication and add the domain to Domain Realm
  9. Click Ok and Click Ok
  10. Right click Default Website then to New and then Virtual Directory
  11. Give it an alias (I have mine called StaffShared which is the whole shared area)
  12. Go to the Path of the top level folder you want to publish
  13. Right click on the alias you create (staffshared) - Properties
  14. Go to Home Directory tab,
  15. Check Directory Browsin
  16. Taking the example above if you open IE and put in http://fileserver/staffshared you will see the web page with the files in the root of the published site
  17. If you then open it as a web folder in Network on Vista you will be able to use it like Windows Explorer.
  18. You can also map a network drive to it in Vista

Posted

Hi thanks for the info it worked well (As a test atm the mo I have it setup internally).

 

Is there anyway of being able to save documents back to it though? I don't think there is is there?

 

Maybe this was one reason he wanted me to use sharepoint as I think you possibly could upload and download files with this?

 

Thanks for the instructions for this file sharing though it’s good to know you can do that much will so little effort! :D

 

FB

Posted

If your using Vista - you can map a network drive to it and open it or with a bit of html coding you can tell it to open as web folder... this will allow you to read and write

 

I think I have the code somewhere...

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I just tried to mapped a network drive useing: http://servername/staffshared/

but it didn't work just coming up with cann't connect :mad: yet it works just browsing in IE. It could be because I couldn't find the Home Directory tab on step 14 though so I couldn't tick Directory Browsin :confused:

 

This wouldn't be ideal mind as not everyone has vista...

 

If you have the coding I wouldn't mind trying, thats if I can fix why it doesn't let me use mapping a network drive to the share as I guess this could effect it. If it's nice and easy a 2 second thing and don't mind passing it on it would be great otherwise don't worry to much. You have already helped loads :) thanks very much

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...