Stormborn15 Posted May 15, 2018 Posted May 15, 2018 Hi, in a nutshell.. Laptop started to do updates , left it overnight, came in to say it was configuring and it was at step 3, then said it failed and was reverting changes.... this has been going for over 2 hours... how long should I wait? ( I've restarted the laptop a few times and also in safe mode etc, but won't go past the configuring step 3 and then failing.. do I just leave it all day? or will I have to rebuild the machine :-/
Steve21 Posted May 15, 2018 Posted May 15, 2018 If you go into safemode, there's a regkey you can modify to remove the updates waiting to install. Effectively rolling it back. Then can manually try to reinstall again Steve 1
Stormborn15 Posted May 15, 2018 Author Posted May 15, 2018 If you go into safemode, there's a regkey you can modify to remove the updates waiting to install. Effectively rolling it back. Then can manually try to reinstall again Steve Do you happen to know which regkey ?
Stormborn15 Posted May 15, 2018 Author Posted May 15, 2018 Do you happen to know which regkey ? Oh, except , even rebooting in safe mode brings up the configuring windows screen... not able to get past that and onto machine
Stormborn15 Posted May 15, 2018 Author Posted May 15, 2018 All sorted now - seems like several reboots worked in my favour ! lol
Duke5A Posted May 23, 2018 Posted May 23, 2018 Just for reference since the original problem has been sorted: I used to run into an issue with Deep Freeze where sometimes the machine would go back into a frozen state between reboots while processing updates. What would result was just an infinite boot loop. If you boot the machine with WinPE or even an installation disc (press shift-F10 when the installer comes up for a command prompt) you can delete 'c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml" to cancel the changes. This is extremely dirty, but it did get the systems to boot for me. 1
species3618 Posted June 3, 2018 Posted June 3, 2018 I know the original issue is solved but I thought I'll chime in, Happend to me on my computer few days back and I managed to sort it out by deleting the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now