Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We're looking at going from Windows 10 Education version 1607 to 1709. Some relevant changes discovered so far:

 

  • The default policy for Cortana search has been changed from disabled to enabled per this Microsoft document.
  • In the new Administrative Templates is "Prevent OneDrive from generating network traffic until the user signs in to OneDrive". This was desperately needed in 1607!
  • As expected, there's changes to the provisioned Store apps. 1 was removed, and 8 were added. Same as before, make your login times quicker for new users by removing them.

Anyone else make similar discoveries?

Posted

I've deployed every version since 1511 so can't recall what changed with each one.

I deploy in a VM to find changes and tweak the deployment as needed.

 

A few changes off the top of my head for 1709 are the people icon, and the default lock screen went from img100 to img103.

 

If you were disabling SMBV1 in your TS, that isn't needed for 1709.

I added a step to remove the 3D objects folder in 1709 too.

 

There is also the mixed reality stuff, but I never figured out how to remove it properly.

 

I don't recall if this was a 1607 or 1703 change, but at some point I needed to add a reg key to disable defender first run ui.

 

I'm sure there are a few changes I'm forgetting.

Posted

Its a reg key originally posted by @Arthur

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/187732-date-released-fall-creators-update-4.html#post1620206

 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{0DB7E03F-FC29-4DC6-9020-FF41B59E513A}]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...