pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Ok long story short, LA have decided we can no longer have port 3389 open to the www but are happy to have 443 open. So i'm moving from a std RDS setup to using RDweb. Single server setup, all roles on one server. All certs are installed and I can connect to my RDWeb fine. From within there I want the staff to be able to click on the RDP icon and connect to the RDS sever. when I click on the RDP icon or go to "connect to a remote pc" and enter the RDS computer name it opens an RDP window and tries to connect over 3389. What am I missing? Been at this all morning and can no longer see thee wood for the trees!! Cheers Si
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 You aren't missing anything really If you click RDP it'll RDP! (But that's RDP within the network, not externally) Think of it this way, the RemoteApp part (web based) is supposed to be a gateway, if you have the gateway on the internet, then RDP internally would connect as normal RDP does via 3389 etc. If you want it all web-based you can use RemoteApps (As RemoteApps not RDP) and publish each app like that. If you look at my old example http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2012/175934-rdp-options-3.html#post1511844 you'll see we have both, RDP as an option (This is RDP within the network as it's to a different server), or RemoteApps. Both externally only require 443 as the RDP is still a RemoteApp but internally it'll use 3389 etc If that makes sense? Steve
alfatec Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 We had exactly the same issue. Ask your LEA to put port nating on for you.
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 (edited) Yep makes sense, but I stil can't connect, 3389 is obviously available internally. I'm now getting "remote gateway server is temporarily unavailable" When I try and connect it's showing as it connecting to Remote computer : rdsserver.blabla.internal Gateway server : remote.externaldomain.com Which looks correct. Edited January 11, 2018 by pooley 1
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 We had exactly the same issue. Ask your LEA to put port nating on for you. I have a NAT from external IP to Internal Ip which has always worked when we had straight RDP access.
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 You shouldn't need any gateway as it's an internal RDP. That's for people externally to remote in via. Make a RemoteApp program that just runs mstsc /v "myserver", when they click the program it should remote direct to the server internally Steve
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 You shouldn't need any gateway as it's an internal RDP. That's for people externally to remote in via. Make a RemoteApp program that just runs mstsc /v "myserver", when they click the program it should remote direct to the server internally Steve Hi Steve, cheers for that but it still gves the gateway error. Just to be clear, I am trying to access the server from outside of the school network, I can log into rdweb fine, it's just the link from rdweb to my rdp server (same server) doesn't work.
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Do any of your apps work? If you do notepad or something on the server. Just wondering if it's not entirely happy with the outside setup in total more than the RDP side of things Steve
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 Do any of your apps work? If you do notepad or something on the server. Just wondering if it's not entirely happy with the outside setup in total more than the RDP side of things Steve Ahh good shout, and no it's not happpy with any apps. Keeps popping up a connection window, I press connect and it says cannot find computer. It looks llike it's trying to resolve my internal server fqdn as an external url ? So DNS?
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Did you put a local version of your remote.domain.sch.uk or whatever on your DNS server to point to your RDS server? Steve
alfatec Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Do you have Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses ticked in Deployment properties. Also is this from a Domain connected laptop externally?
alfatec Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Also we have SSL Bridging ticked in your RD Gateway Manager properties. This was the one that solved our exact problem.
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 @Steve21 Yes I have a DNS record internally @alfatec Yes to bypass gateway , just looking at SSL bridging now
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Just to clarify that's a DNS address as per your external address? Not internal domain address? Steve
MS2011 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 I have recent configured RDS on server 2012 and 2016. I got few error when I had the RD Gateway server name entered wrongly and when certificates were not trusted. follow this link https://www.virtuallyboring.com/setup-rd-gateway-role-on-windows-server-2012-r2 I have installed third party ssl cert and working without any problem.
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 Just to clarify that's a DNS address as per your external address? Not internal domain address? Steve Yep, so internal DNS record rdserver.local.bla - remote.externaldomain.com
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 I have recent configured RDS on server 2012 and 2016. I got few error when I had the RD Gateway server name entered wrongly and when certificates were not trusted. follow this link https://www.virtuallyboring.com/setup-rd-gateway-role-on-windows-server-2012-r2 I have installed third party ssl cert and working without any problem. Thanks mate, all certs are signed and trusted, looking again at what i've entered where.
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 I have certs for the external remote... domain, should I have one for my internal rdserver .internal ? self signed obviously.
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 If you set it up via the gateway/Server Manager it should have already assigned a self-signed and it copies it to the RDS hosts etc for you. (If you have a wildcard can add it for all though) It'll show up under the config of the collection, and show the 4 certs under the Broker/SSO/Web Access and Gateway. Steve
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 Yes they all show as trusted, so not cert issue then.
Steve21 Posted January 11, 2018 Posted January 11, 2018 Using a remote app does it work internally for notepad etc? Generally find it's always easier to test from inside outwards Steve
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 Yep can launch remote apps from within the school network, get a few auth windows but it was the 1st time.
pooley Posted January 11, 2018 Author Posted January 11, 2018 (edited) RAAAAAAAAAAA DN bloooooooomin SSSS Added a CNAME pointing to external fqdn as appoosed to A record pointing to IP and it works. (I thought I'd done that already, probably did and then removed/changed it) Wood / trees. Thanks for all the help guys. Been at this since yesterday, always trus your instincts, if it's MS based and doesnt work it's a dns issue Edited January 11, 2018 by pooley
PotNoodleTech Posted January 12, 2018 Posted January 12, 2018 Bookmarked - want to get this running myself as have same problem with tight LEA ports!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now