Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

While looking into problems with OpenOffice, it seems that saving Writer files (3 word long) using .odt format to a w2k3 network share takes about 15 seconds before the program finishes doing it and hands back control to me :eek:

 

Saving as .doc or .sxw seems to be fine :confused:

 

Saving locally seems to be fine.

 

I could replicate this problem on a wireless eeePC using the default OO 2.0 and an XP Pro Desktop which was also running OO2.0.

 

[edit]Upgraded the XP machine to 2.3.0 and problem went away so it seems to be a problem with the older version of OO[/edit]

 

Just a heads up in case anyone else has a similiar problem.

 

regards

Simon

Posted

[edit]Upgraded the XP machine to 2.3.0 and problem went away so it seems to be a problem with the older version of OO[/edit]

 

you know 2.4 was realeased a couple of days ago..

Posted

Just for interest (since its relatively easy to updgrade OO except on an eeePC :) )

 

I run my an old Win98 "server" as a VM(Ware Server) inside a W2K3 server and I tried writing to the a share on it - worked fine.

 

Now it might be down to me not having my XP computers as domain members - I just use the W2K3 server as a DNS/DHCP/File/Print server.

 

If anyones got an old OO 2.0 install on a domain machine and would like to do a quick test I'd be interested in the result (don't go to any trouble but if you have such a setup....)

 

regards

 

Simon

 

PS The reason I've taken such an interest in OO 2.0 is that is what comes with an eeePC and its a bit more than click and go to update it on 30 machines :) I'm starting to think that the OO developers have somehow (and for some strange reason) bypassed standard OS I/O rountines and are doing there own thing :(

Posted
bypassed standard OS I/O rountines and are doing there own thing

 

It's called Java, There are big lumps of it in OO.org. This is a double edged sword. It makes for easier porting. However as you've seen performance and OS integration can suffer.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...