GuyJD Posted November 8, 2017 Posted November 8, 2017 I'm having an annoying issue with our communal area laptops at the moment, there are a group of students who think it's absolutely hilarious to zoom Chrome in to 500% or down to 25% so when the next pupil uses it they don't know what to do and I then have to go an sort it. So the question is, does anyone know of: a) a way to disable zooming in Chrome b) reset Chrome to 100% every time it is started c) a powershell command to reset it remotely that I can schedule to run every hour on those laptops. I've checked through the Chrome group policy settings and can't find anything relation to zoom control, I'd even be happy to get Chrome to open in a default state every time it's opened but I can't find a setting for that either.
ADMaster Posted November 8, 2017 Posted November 8, 2017 The keyboard shortcut to reset to 100 is ctrl+0 maybe stick it on a sign. In my experience chrome zooming is per website and per user. Do the users not log in as themselves?
GuyJD Posted November 8, 2017 Author Posted November 8, 2017 The keyboard shortcut to reset to 100 is ctrl+0 maybe stick it on a sign. In my experience chrome zooming is per website and per user. Do the users not log in as themselves?in the communal area they laptops are all logged in under a single user account I didn't really want to put a note up because that'll show more of them how to change the zoom and make the issue worse.
ADMaster Posted November 8, 2017 Posted November 8, 2017 Well I have two more ideas Enable Ephemeral mode via GPO, I've never used it but it says it will delete all profile data after the browser is closed. Script the deletion of the chrome profile folder from appdata. I'd try Ephemeral mode first. 1
GuyJD Posted November 9, 2017 Author Posted November 9, 2017 (edited) Thanks Ephemeral mode has solved the zooming problem but now it opens up 2 tabs when opening Chrome the first being a "Take Chrome Anywhere" tab asking you to sign in to a google account and the second being the school's website that is the only page listed in my startup url list. Now I need to find a way to get rid of that first tab, my GP settings are set to disable Welcome page on first browser launch. Edited November 9, 2017 by GuyJD
ADMaster Posted November 9, 2017 Posted November 9, 2017 I think I read in another thread if you disable the option for them to sign in to the browser, it will also disable the welcome screen. 1
sister_annex Posted November 9, 2017 Posted November 9, 2017 in the communal area they laptops are all logged in under a single user account I don't really want to take this OT but, surely there are issues there with allowing students access to the internet under one single account that cannot be audited or traced? Just saying... 1
GuyJD Posted November 9, 2017 Author Posted November 9, 2017 I don't really want to take this OT but, surely there are issues there with allowing students access to the internet under one single account that cannot be audited or traced? Just saying...I agree but unfortunately the kids are in year 3 to 6 and getting them to sign in (and out) with their own accounts just doesn't work so instead the use is monitored by staff in the area and by myself via iTalc.
GuyJD Posted November 9, 2017 Author Posted November 9, 2017 I think I read in another thread if you disable the option for them to sign in to the browser, it will also disable the welcome screen.This fixed it, thanks in case anyone else wants to do this the AD option is "Disable synchronisation of data with Google"
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now