Joanne Posted June 19, 2017 Posted June 19, 2017 OK, I don't use SIMS... I am 100% a novice. I can create and run reports and that's about it. Assistant Head has asked if I can create a Grammar Tracker within SIMS. This is basically a table with the childs name, Year Start, Autumn 2, Spring 2 and Summer 2 as Column headings. Under the headings will be the childs name (preferably pulled from database) and then levels which can be selected. So far I have created Aspects (Name, Year Start, Au2, Sp2, Su2), Grade Set (1b, 1b+, 1w, 1w+, 1s, 1s+, then 2-6's) and finally a Result Set (Year Start, Au2, Sp2, Su2) Then I made a template under Focus > Assessment > Templates But I have no idea if this is correct or anything. Can anyone guide me a little more? Currently they use Excel which is great, but would just be better on something a little more... official. For other tracking we use Target Tracker and for some reason they don't include a Grammar section, nor do they plan to. Thanks in advance.
bobsmith Posted June 19, 2017 Posted June 19, 2017 Yeah, if the grades available are the same each term then you only need 1 aspect. You differentiate the results using the resultsets that you set up. you don't need an aspect for name. Is year start a grade? Who will be entering the data - we need to attach some marksheets to the template - but this depends on which teachers/staff will be entering data.
Joanne Posted June 19, 2017 Author Posted June 19, 2017 I'm guessing the assistant head will be entering the data... year start is a grade.
bobsmith Posted June 19, 2017 Posted June 19, 2017 ok, then use just one aspect called "grammar" and maybe a code so you can find it e.g. my aspects tend to be called "AS Grammar", "AS GCSE AtoG Pred" etc (AS being my school abbreviation). next the marksheet you create can be for a year group at a time, or maybe a form group if that's easier. Really it's however the results of the test in the real world arrive at their desk. 1
Joanne Posted June 19, 2017 Author Posted June 19, 2017 It's not from a test, (we're a primary school) it's just from teacher observation and assigning levels (I think!) I think there would be a sheet for each class.... I think I've created enough for the assistant head to be going on with then! Thanks for your help 1
vikpaw Posted June 19, 2017 Posted June 19, 2017 (edited) @Joanne - do you get how to place the single grammar aspect tied to the various resultsets onto the template? Just checking as you don't want them to start using it and then find your template needs adjusting. Maybe chuck up a screenie. Edited June 21, 2017 by vikpaw
CAM Posted June 19, 2017 Posted June 19, 2017 (edited) You are on the right track but I'd refine it a bit. Gradeset: KS2 Grades by Jo Aspect: KS2 Grammar Grade [Type: Grade linked to KS2 Grades by Jo gradeset] Result Sets: Year 1 Start, Year 1 Autumn, Year 1 Spring, Year 1 Summer, Year 2 Start, Year 2 Autumn, Year 2 Spring, Year 2 Summer, etc. You get the drift. Keep the result set names logical with a consistent naming scheme to make them easier to find. Make a new template called Year 1 Grammar Tracker. Add the following: Aspect: KS2 Grammar Grade Result Set: [select multiple at once] Year 1 Start, Year 1 Autumn, Year 1 Spring, Year 1 Summer Ta-daaa! One worksheet with all your columns in at once! But you aren't finished yet! Assign the template to a class or year group. Example, assign this example to Year Group -> Year 1. Your Head of Year can see it, but your SLT link cannot. We can fix that. Go to Focus -> School -> Pastoral Structure -> Current Structure. BE REALLY CAREFUL IN HERE! Expand Pastoral Structure then Year 1 then the Supervisors category. Right Click and choose New Supervisor. Put your SLT members name in here, select Pastoral Manager. Click OK, then Save. The SLT link will now see any marksheets assigned explicitly to Year 1. EDIT - And now the picture is there after I hit post! Oops. Edited June 19, 2017 by CAM 1
Joanne Posted June 19, 2017 Author Posted June 19, 2017 Think I'll look at this again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes! I should have enough info now. It would help if I knew the SIMS terminology for stuff!! WHY U NOT CALL A COLUMN A COLUMN?!??!
vikpaw Posted June 19, 2017 Posted June 19, 2017 It is a column, but a column is defined as a combination of aspect (+/- gradeset) tied to resultset (optional). Your end result will be a column. If I had access to SIMS, I'd build it for you and send it so you can just import.
CAM Posted June 20, 2017 Posted June 20, 2017 Think I'll look at this again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes! I should have enough info now. It would help if I knew the SIMS terminology for stuff!! WHY U NOT CALL A COLUMN A COLUMN?!??! If you want to be really flash, put it in an analysis grid!
Joanne Posted June 20, 2017 Author Posted June 20, 2017 It is a column, but a column is defined as a combination of aspect (+/- gradeset) tied to resultset (optional). Your end result will be a column. If I had access to SIMS, I'd build it for you and send it so you can just import. Wanna remote onto my machine???
bobsmith Posted June 20, 2017 Posted June 20, 2017 From your screenshot you still need to remove the name column. the kids names and any other details you want appear when you open a marksheet. 1
vikpaw Posted June 20, 2017 Posted June 20, 2017 Wanna remote onto my machine??? I'll take a look over your shoulder 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now