localzuk Posted May 9, 2017 Posted May 9, 2017 I am going through and designing our new network bit by bit and I have a question, but that question is best asked after I give some background info. Our new network will store all files primarily on our central servers. Each school in the trust will have a file server with a local copy of the data for its staff in it. So far, everything i simple - DFSR handles it all. However, we have some staff who work in multiple schools. How do I replicate data to each of those schools without having to replicate *all* data for all users? A folder can't be a member of multiple DFSR groups, and you can't use any form of reparse point to "fake" it. Anyone got any thoughts?
ADMaster Posted May 9, 2017 Posted May 9, 2017 In my experience replicating user data caused issues, but since this is for separate sites it may work out OK. The issue I had was they would access data on fs01 then at class change may access data on fs02 and it wasn't replicated yet, this caused conflicts. This was back on 2008 so I'm sure things have improved quite a bit. How is the data accessed are we talking folder redirection, or mapped drives. It either case groups are the answer, mapped drives can be targeted with GPP and folder redirection has advanced mapping based on security group. If your folder hierarchy is broken out by site move the home folders of those staff into an all sites folder. Staffsite a site b site c mobilestaff Create a replication group for this moblestaff folder. Move their home folders. Create and assign members to a mobilestaff security group. Edit your gpos to point at the new home location. I hope this gives you an idea.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now