Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Stopping Windows 10 Home automatically restarting for updates


Recommended Posts

Posted

Is there something I'm missing to block Windows 10 automatically restarting my laptop when it decides it is update time? I've got the option to set 'active hours' but I don't really have any set active hours as such, it is my laptop which is generally just left running 24/7 and I leave various documents, Google Chrome tabs etc open which all just get wiped out by the restart!

 

What happened to the good old days where you could just download the updates and choose to install them at your own convenience?!

Posted

Officially or unofficially? :p

 

You can't fully stop it in Windows 10 Home since the last few patches (Unless I've missed something major).

 

You can however make it not work,

 

Task Scheduler ->

 

Add a new task to delete a file via bat/cmd etc -> Delete C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\reboot

 

Set it to run every X minutes :p

 

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...