Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

Not sure where this post should be really, as I don't know if the issue is Mac related or VM!

 

Well, I deleted my previous Win 7 VM on the Head's MacBook (which was fully updated and working perfectly :mad: ) took it out of SOLUS and off the domain....

 

I have given the MacBook a new VM, they each have a static IP, the VM is using bridged networking and shows as a separate computer.

 

However, when I boot the Win 7 VM it puts these two 192.* entries into DNS.

 

DNS.jpg

 

Does this look like it is attempting some sort of NAT? I know that is an option within Fusion for networking, but I didn't choose it.

 

Also, on a related note the Macbook has all of a sudden started to drop its connection to Windows shares on the server randomly (which isn't really acceptable). It didn't before I put this VM on... but seems to coincide with the DNS entries appearing and the VM being started and doesn't happen if the VM isn't started.

 

Anybody have any quick ideas to resolve this issue before I spend the day on Google...

Posted

I must admit this is where I am slightly confused (who am I kidding? I am completely confused by the whole thing!)...

 

Looking through the options in the VMware Fusion help files for networking the VM there are:

 

NAT

 

Bridged

 

Host-Only

 

However, within Fusion's 'Virtual Machine' options there are actually:

 

Internet sharing - Share with my Mac (I presume this = NAT)

 

Bridged Networking - AutoDetect

- Wi-Fi

- Bluetooth PAN

 

Custom - Private to my Mac

 

Bridged is the only thing that works (either 'Autodetect' or 'Wi-Fi'), gives network and internet access to the VM and shows the domain network - but within a few minutes the 192.* entries appear in DNS and the Mac loses its connection to shares...

 

So, I tried NAT and it doesn't appear to work (still puts those entries on my DNS server, but doesn't affect the Mac connecting to the shares), however the VM gets no useable network...

 

Ethernet isn't really an option as there is no Ethernet port on the MacBook.

Posted

Ahh yes of course, another brilliant decision by Apple to remove everything bar 2 x USB ports.

 

I suspect 'NAT' is your virtual switch, then you specify the adapter of your choosing, in this case the onboard WiFi, then give it a label of some kind.

 

Then you specify your labelled onboard WiFi, which forms is the actual Bridge. That's my understanding.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...