ADMaster Posted September 2, 2016 Posted September 2, 2016 (edited) Hello, I've been testing some upgrades to 1607 and I've run into a few issues. A fresh image of 1607 is tested and working, its the upgrades that have issues. When upgrading from 1511 to 1607 via the SCCM servicing I loose all branding / customization, default apps come back etc. I imported the 1607 files into the upgrade packages and created an upgrade task sequence. Then added my tweaks to the post upgrade section. Any new admin user, does not have a start menu Any new standard user cannot log on. it gets to preparing windows then goes to signing off This leads me to believe I've somehow corrupted the default profile in my post upgrade tweaks. I've also tried this upgrade from W8.1 to 1607 with the same results. Can anyone point me in the right direction, every change takes 1.5 - 2 hours to test, so any help is appreciated? Thank you, Edited September 2, 2016 by ADMaster
ReadTheNetwork Posted September 2, 2016 Posted September 2, 2016 Sounds like a profile problem as you said. If you change the default profile on the Windows 10 upgrade wim file - try making a new default profile and test on a failing windows 10. If this works, try mandatory profiles (if possible). Or import that into your update wim file.
ADMaster Posted September 3, 2016 Author Posted September 3, 2016 Your idea of a new profile got me going in the right direction. I still don't have an automated fix, but I can fix it by hand. Some of my tweaks modify the default profile during OSD with a reg load / unload. These scripts work just fine for a fresh install, but for some reason the default profile is not getting unloaded with the upgrade task. I have added two steps to my task sequence, a restart followed by a reg unload. This did not fix the issue. If I log on as admin open regedit and unload the hive a new user is able to log on. Any idea what is different between the new install and upgrade TS's that will not allow the hive to unload? Any ideas on forcing the TS to unload it. Thanks,
ReadTheNetwork Posted September 3, 2016 Posted September 3, 2016 Deploy Windows 10 Enterprise using In-Place Upgrade | System Center ConfigMgr has some good pointers on the phases that the upgrade goes through. Are you using the original install.wim for the upgrade?
ADMaster Posted September 3, 2016 Author Posted September 3, 2016 Yes I decided with windows 10 to not modify the install.wim and do everything I would have done to the wim with steps in the TS. The only thing I've done is slipstreamed in the latest updates from the console. However I had these issues before and after the updates were applied, so that's not the cause.
Arthur Posted September 3, 2016 Posted September 3, 2016 Some of my tweaks modify the default profile during OSD with a reg load / unload. Are you doing your task sequence tweaks to the registry while in booted into Windows 10 or Windows PE? If the former, perhaps it would be worth trying WinPE since the registry will be offline. e.g. @echo off FOR %%a IN (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO ( IF EXIST "%%a:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT" ( SET CDRIVE=%%a: REG LOAD "HKLM\_USER" "%CDRIVE%:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT" REG LOAD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE" "%CDRIVE%:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE" REG DELETE "HKLM\_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v OneDriveSetup /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v NoNewAppAlert /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive" /v DisableFileSyncNGSC /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization" /v NoLockScreen /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowSearchToUseLocation /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v ConnectedSearchUseWeb /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v ConnectedSearchUseWebOverMeteredConnections /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f REG ADD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v DisableWebSearch /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f REG UNLOAD "HKLM\_USER" REG UNLOAD "HKLM\_SOFTWARE" ) ) 1
ReadTheNetwork Posted September 4, 2016 Posted September 4, 2016 (edited) For Windows Upgrades, the fact that you boot into WinRE which has a lot less functionality than WinPE might be the reason you're having problems. I believe that when you boot into WinRE it has a lot less functionality than WinPE (for a start WinRE doesn't have network drivers). So it might not be reading the task sequences during that time. Worth looking into anyway. Could try doing a basic command like create a folder directly in the C drive such as C:\test within a task sequence (at same location of trying to do the reg change). This may help confirm what I believe happens. Not a tidy method but you could create a group for the recently upgraded machines and then deploy a new task sequence which boots into WinPE and does the changes as required? Then after it has been completed you can get it to remove itself from the group within the task sequence. Edited September 4, 2016 by ReadTheNetwork
ReadTheNetwork Posted September 4, 2016 Posted September 4, 2016 Just another thought if the work around works - 1) Create a group for the machines to be upgraded (I'll call it for this example "Upgrade Machines") 2) Deploy a task sequence (upgrade sequence) to the "Upgrade Machines", and within the task sequence add machine to a new group before the restart and applying upgrade section (I'll call it for this example "Upgraded Machines"). 3) Deploy a task sequence to "Upgraded Machines" which includes your reg change and removes the machines from "Upgraded Machines". Bit messy but means less work on your part.
ADMaster Posted September 9, 2016 Author Posted September 9, 2016 Thanks all, I've not had a lot of time to work on this the past week, but rebooting into winPE has worked. I still have a few settings to iron out, but the overall process provides a functional machine.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now