MatthewL Posted August 22, 2016 Posted August 22, 2016 Got a PC back in for a friend on Friday evening where Windows Update has killed the boot manager. I've tried to restore it but no joy so ended up restoring it to a system image I created some time ago. I've for the past 24 hours been doing updates thinking I'm safe after getting an image and then another rogue update kills it. I've probably tried 10 or so different updates, one minute they are fine and next its killed it again. Any suggestions? I'm currently taking a full image of the machine so I have a working state one but I need to get the PC back to them as its their only one (self employed own business type thing). I'm going to get the image into a VM and have a play there but wondered if anyone has any suggestions other than a full reinstall of the OS. Thanks
Steve21 Posted August 22, 2016 Posted August 22, 2016 Asus by any chance? There was a few ones back in May or so that nuked ones with Asus motherboards. Steve
MatthewL Posted August 22, 2016 Author Posted August 22, 2016 It's a machine from Overclockers which I got them about 2 years ago and funnily enough it has a Asus motherboard. Any fix?
free780 Posted August 22, 2016 Posted August 22, 2016 If to u had secure boot with UEFI enabled M$ killed it via windows update a few months back.
Arthur Posted August 22, 2016 Posted August 22, 2016 (edited) If to u had secure boot with UEFI enabled MS killed it via windows update a few months back. Windows 7 doesn't support Secure Boot though? Any fix? This seems to be the update that @Steve21 is talking about... https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1016356/ After installing Microsoft Update KB3133977 for Windows 7, some users may encounter a "Secure Boot Violation" , which makes the system fail to boot into the operating system. http://kmpic.asus.com/images/2016/04/18/716d108f-a0c8-4fd5-86cf-919e30b685ff.jpg To protect user's systems from malware attacks, ASUS motherboards implement the Microsoft Secure Boot feature by default. This feature performs a legal loader check to boot into the OS. As Windows 7 does not support Secure Boot (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx), with the update of KB3133977, the system might detect inconsistent OS loader keys, resulting in boot failure. Please change UEFI Secure Boot settings as outlined in the steps below, this will allow the system to boot into the operating system successfully. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3133977 After you install update 3133977 on a Windows 7 x64-based system that includes an ASUS-based main board, the system does not start, and it generates a Secure Boot error on the ASUS BIOS screen. This problem occurs because ASUS allowed the main board to enable the Secure Boot process even though Windows 7 does not support this feature. To resolve this problem, go to the following ASUS support website to learn how to disable Secure Boot for Windows 7: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016356/ Either upgrade to Windows 10 or follow the steps on the Asus website above. Edited August 22, 2016 by Arthur
Arthur Posted August 22, 2016 Posted August 22, 2016 https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1016356/ That's the same link I posted above.
MatthewL Posted August 22, 2016 Author Posted August 22, 2016 Thanks for that guys. The PC is coming back in next week when hes away and I will sort it then. Thanks for your help on this one, have lost a day to this today and I was on annual leave too! Would of never have thought anything to do with this.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now