mm3 Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 Hello, I having been playing a lot recently with one drive/one note/class notebook/teacher dashboard it has highlighted how much we are going to need sims and AD to sync class codes etc has anyone done this? I have looked at SalamanderSoft Limited but I'm looking for a free solution if possible? https://sis.microsoft.com/ I have also seen this but its early days. I really don't want to be making loads of group in AD for teacher because they don't want to input 30 student email addresses when sharing documents via one drive or setting up class notebooks 2
Geoff Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 So you need to provision your AD groups based on the Sims.Net database. I thought Capita had a provisioning tool for this? (It's been years since I looked at Sims). Otherwise I'd guess you'd be able to do something based on the output of a Sims report and some powershell. Failing that you can always look at the database directly (although some people don't like going that far). Then I think you'll need to use hybrid Ad to get it into o365. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-get-started-custom/ 1
mm3 Posted November 30, 2015 Author Posted November 30, 2015 cheers Geoff I use DirSync to sync ad users and groups into o365. I will try find out if there is a provisioning tool for this! Thank you
snagrat Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 SIS should be launched at BETT this year so depends how long you want to wait. We'll currently trialling it 2
vikpaw Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 SIMS does have a provisioning tool, but it's not free. It was debundled from SLG, and the last I looked at it, there were limitations on the fields / wildcards you could use with it, so it would depend on your username format if you wanted it to create users, it should however maintain them. I like the idea of using a hybrid AD with Azure. 1
mm3 Posted November 30, 2015 Author Posted November 30, 2015 SIS should be launched at BETT this year so depends how long you want to wait. We'll currently trialling it how's it going? do you also use o365?
Steve21 Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 I know you said about Salamander but might want to have a flick through here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/recommended-suppliers/160503-salamandersoft-singing-praises.html Does so much more than just creating users Steve 3
mm3 Posted November 30, 2015 Author Posted November 30, 2015 I know you said about Salamander but might want to have a flick through here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/recommended-suppliers/160503-salamandersoft-singing-praises.html Does so much more than just creating users Steve I would love to get Salamander but you know what budgets are like. my idea is to show how useful it would be to have a link between AD and sims. then I may be able to get salamander. shame we cant get a trial/demo
Steve21 Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 @rpwillis Would be the man to ask about that I know they do it for other parts of their software, but not sure on the AD side Steve 2
vikpaw Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 Another +1 for Salamander - it just works. Recently, needed some changes and they remoted in and voila all sorted. Not even syncing to AD but are using their "AD" product to populate a bespoke database for ID cards, ripping data out of our Engage MIS and keeping it up to date. Seamless. You don't need a demo, just work out how long it takes you to do the jobs manually and compare it with a hands free sync that fires on demand / schedule. 1
matt40k Posted December 1, 2015 Posted December 1, 2015 SIS should be launched at BETT this year so depends how long you want to wait That'll be interesting, SalamanderSoft (@rpwillis) is in the Microsoft Village @ BETT - 1
vikpaw Posted December 1, 2015 Posted December 1, 2015 LOL Funny cos yesterday I sent an email to someone and this was on line 2: It might be worth talking to Richard at Salamander Software. He’s very pro M$.!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now