Bill8 Posted October 4, 2015 Posted October 4, 2015 I'm hoping to try and get a job as a Network Manager and I was wondering if I could pick people brains about qualifications? I'm thinking of starting an MSc in Information Systems Management but am wondering if this qualification is suitable? Do people think it would aide me or do you think I should invest my time and money in different qualifications? Thanks in advance for any ideas. Bill
elsiegee40 Posted October 4, 2015 Posted October 4, 2015 (edited) What qualifications, training and experience do you have so far @Bill8? This will help us to guide you Edited October 4, 2015 by elsiegee40
comrade Posted October 4, 2015 Posted October 4, 2015 I know managers who have nothing but experience. Saying that they have been promoted to the position.
pcstru Posted October 4, 2015 Posted October 4, 2015 I think there are a few things to consider. A job may state that a degree is an essential requirement, in which case any degree will be better than none. We tend to advertise it as preferred but also look at experience. In terms of sifting CV's and scoring applications, a degree has generally not been a huge differentiator BUT where depth/breadth of experience is missing, it does then help fill that hole. For a NM post - I'd think it would help a little that it is in the right subject area but primarily a degree tells me you can apply yourself to study and you can do so over an extended period, it doesn't really tell me that you know the right stuff. So, that said, I think if you are going to spend money and time on a degree, the first and most important consideration is that it is a subject you enjoy - preferably one you have some passion for.
Bill8 Posted October 5, 2015 Author Posted October 5, 2015 Thanks for the help already. I've got a BSc in Mathematics, Statistics and Computing and am currently employed as the SIMS Manager in a school overseas. I look after the 'user' side of this data base so I don't have any experience with the server. Our school is moved over to Gmail so an the administrator for that, as well as helping with Apps on the teachers IPads. As you can see I currently don't have much experience in the NM field but I try to help out as much as possible. Our current NM will not be leaving in either the foreseeable or distant future, but she's said that she's willing to try and help me gain some experience were she can however, I need to improve my knowledge base for this to work. I'm not in any rush and am open to any and all suggestions.
Bill8 Posted October 15, 2015 Author Posted October 15, 2015 Looking at some of the other threads on this forum I've decided not to do this qualification but to do some Cisco ones instead.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now