Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 I have just upgraded my core switch and all edge switches. The core is linked to the staff room via 10gb fibre and I then trunk this to other switches. This port keeps dropping and is reporting errors on the core. All other edge switches plugged into the other fibre ports are fine. Config is exactly the same for all ports. Stp, speed, vlans etc. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm thinking it's one of the following. Cabling, faulty switch either core or 2920 in staff room, firmware, faulty fibre module again on core of 2920, a device linked the the staff room causing issues. I plan to get in early tomorrow and start diagnosing with the physical elements like swapping fibre port and patch leads etc. Any suggestions. My more advanced steps include using wire shark to capture what's going on but I'd like to walk before I run. Thanks Liam
DMcCoy Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 Have you tested the fibre? is it OM3/4? Original Gbic? (The compatible lasers don't always seem to last as long).
Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Author Posted August 5, 2015 It's om4. Only fitted and terminate last week
IanT Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 do a "show log" on the core, what does that spit out? Check the SFP, may be dust inside it! (dont use unofficial HP SFP's like people recommend!) Change the fibre cables over Do you have HP ProCurve Manager?
Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Author Posted August 5, 2015 No don't have pro curve manager. Everything brand new Could this be caused by a loop?
IanT Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 Loop - maybe, whats your ping responces like? Do you have loop-protect and BBPDU Protection on your switches configured?
ITGURU Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 If the fibre is a new install, should be no reason that's faulty. Connect the switch directly to the core switch with the same fibre patch leads to isolate the fibre run and re-test. Obviously, also check that your total run if fibre, including patches isn't exceeding the maximum distance on OM4 fibre.
IanT Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 If its a new install go back to the cablers for the test results and check with them.
Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Author Posted August 5, 2015 They are in tomorrow. Arranged it earlier [emoji3]
ITGURU Posted August 5, 2015 Posted August 5, 2015 They should have tested whilst on-site and either supplied you with the test results or told you what they are. Usually when I get fibre runs done they give me a green light and say they got very good DB loss on the terminations. Even watched them do the splicing before and how it measures the loss, although some companies will still do the good old cut and polish method.
Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Author Posted August 5, 2015 I was on annual leave when they did it. They have been very understanding and the other cores seems to be working fine
Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Author Posted August 5, 2015 I was on annual leave when they did it. They have been very understanding and the other cores seems to be working fine
Liam Posted August 5, 2015 Author Posted August 5, 2015 Ping responses are inconsistent and time is generally high. I suspect it's a loop so I'll start unplugging tomorrow morning etc
Liam Posted August 6, 2015 Author Posted August 6, 2015 Well it turned out to be the fiber patch lead. I think it was tangled and wasn't operating as it should. As soon as I removed it from all the cable tidy and put it all back it was completely fine.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now