enbiggen Posted April 17, 2015 Posted April 17, 2015 Hi, I'm having problems finding an acceptable way to get the serial number into the application. The school's bought licences for it to be installed on 120 computers. Once installed on a computer, each user that logs in on that machine needs to type in the serial number the first time they run the software, even if I've typed it as the administrator. Once they've done that it won't prompt them again on that same computer. It appears to store the the serial number in the user's AppData folder (Windows 7), inside a folder with a randomly generated 8-character name (although it looks as if it may not care what those 8-characters are). Kagan's support seems aimed at teachers using its software, rather than IT, and while pleasant, I haven't really gotten anything useful from them. I'm thinking about redirecting the AppData/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObject folder (which it creates) to a read-only location on the network which is pre-populated with the serial code - but it seems like a lot of faff to get it to work. Has anyone used this software before, and do you have any advice on the best way of doing it? Thanks, Duncan.
enbiggen Posted April 21, 2015 Author Posted April 21, 2015 I'm thinking about redirecting the AppData/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObject folder (which it creates) to a read-only location on the network which is pre-populated with the serial code - but it seems like a lot of faff to get it to work. Scrap that - my memory was playing tricks on me - you can exclude things from "AppData" when redirecting, but you can't include things (excluding everything else).
itgeek1989 Posted April 21, 2015 Posted April 21, 2015 (edited) We had the same problem. We copied the folder it creates out of a profile that's had the serial entered and pasted it in to all our staff profiles on the server. When they log on it syncs down n dose not ask for serial. Was a lot of work but was the only way I could get it to work. Can't believe for the price they don't do a network version. But that's what happens when SLT buy software without involving IT... Edited April 21, 2015 by itgeek1989 1
enbiggen Posted April 22, 2015 Author Posted April 22, 2015 Hi, I went with a login script that created the directory structure in the user's AppData folder and copied the authentication file into it - this seems to be working. (The problem I've found isn't so much that they "don't do a network version", as that they seem to refuse to acknowledge what they have isn't a network version!) Thanks, Duncan.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now