sidewinder Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 Im trying to disable Dr Watson throughout the school to at least partly help with my IE7 crashing problem Im following the instructions written here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188296 Ive exported the .reg file, and added a - in it to remove the key as stated here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516 and it works fine. This is the reg file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug] "Auto"="1" "Debugger"="drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g" "UserDebuggerHotKey"=dword:00000000 So now I want to use a batch file so I can run it on bootup. I have been using the line regedit /s DrWatsonRemove.reg Which for any other reg file (adding one) works fine. But for some reason with this one (removing a key) the batch file just runs and nothing happens Any ideas? I'm sure Im just doing something stupid, so just putting it here in case anyone can see a mistake im making
ChrisP Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 Is this part of the kids logon? I'm sure you need to be an administrator to write to [HKLM]
maniac Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 Use the following VBS script. Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 strComputer = "." Set objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & _ strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv") strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" strValueName = "ATICCC" objRegistry.DeleteValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, strValueName strValueName = "igfxtray" objRegistry.DeleteValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, strValueName The example above removes items from the run at start up area of the registry, but by changing the values in 'StrKeyPath=' and 'strValueName=' you can adapt it to remove whatever registry keys you need. Set it as a startup script, not a logon script and it'll work fine (I used it to remove lots of program entries that were running at startup on our workstations, and it worked a treat.) Hope that helps, Mike.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now