Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have recently implemented a Linux/Samba/Cups/Pykota based print server. However I hit a problem with samba. There was very high CPU usage, mainly because of winbind and also hundreds of smbd processes.

 

The root cause was that the server was keeping connections open to clients and waiting for the clients to drop the connection (a default setting in samba it seems). So I had to change the 'deadtime' global configuration option. I chose to use a setting of 5 (which means 5 minutes) before idle connections are dropped. This has reduced my 30+ load average to around 1.5 :)

Posted
hmm, wonder if it affects OS X too. Although I should think I'd have to send out a search party to various retirement homes to find any people who worked on the version supplied with OS X

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...