mrhcarlin Posted May 16, 2014 Posted May 16, 2014 I'm under the impression that it isn't possible to install Windows Updates using the shutdown command, and a little Googling seems to confirm this. I've been using this as our shutdown policy for several months: %WinDir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 90 /d p:04:01. Works perfectly for just shutting down machines at the end of the school day, but the updates being rolled out by our WSUS server every Thursday at 16:00 are not installing on shutdown. We do get the odd report of a PC taking forever to boot up at the beginning of a lesson because someone the lesson before shut it down manually after finishing using it and when it's turned back on it wants to finish installing 19 updates. I'm guessing I'll have to get a little creative with this, so here I am fishing for advice. VBS or PS scripts? Any tips?
ADMaster Posted May 20, 2014 Posted May 20, 2014 I used to use this scrip Windows Update Agent force script, email results version 2.6 - Script Center - Spiceworks by Rob Dunn. I hard coded in all the options I needed so I didn’t have to pass any parameters. You could try calling this script before the shutdown, or schedule a separate task and call it before so it has time to pull the updates. Cheers.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now