fiza Posted May 14, 2014 Posted May 14, 2014 What could potentially go wrong with allowing students to use Small Basic? if you have any examples of code that they could use to wreak havoc please pm them to me for testing. I just want to make sure I have covered all basis before I roll it out. Otherwise I will have to go the Virtualbox route.
synaesthesia Posted May 14, 2014 Posted May 14, 2014 Just about to implement this into our vbox image but also looking at it on a standard station. Playing with it now, I'll let you know. 1
synaesthesia Posted May 14, 2014 Posted May 14, 2014 Short answer is no. Long answer is hell no. Easy access to blocked/restricted areas, tested by writing a small file from a student account. Stands to reason that by knowing a path and filename it will be possible to read restricted files too. Straight into the VB image for me.
fiza Posted May 14, 2014 Author Posted May 14, 2014 @synaesthesia - could you send me the code you tested?
synaesthesia Posted May 14, 2014 Posted May 14, 2014 Text="This is my Text" File.WriteContents("c:\temp\text.txt",text) MyData=File.ReadContents("c:\temp\text.txt") TextWindow.WriteLine(MyData) TextWindow.Read() Obviously that's an issue that *should* only affect the C:\ drive as it's fine with mapped drives secured with the relevant permissions! 1
fiza Posted May 14, 2014 Author Posted May 14, 2014 Text="This is my Text" File.WriteContents("c:\temp\text.txt",text) MyData=File.ReadContents("c:\temp\text.txt") TextWindow.WriteLine(MyData) TextWindow.Read() Obviously that's an issue that *should* only affect the C:\ drive as it's fine with mapped drives secured with the relevant permissions! VBOX it is then!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now