Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

 

 

I'm giving serious consideration to replacing my multi monitor setup with one of these when they're out next month! Sounds awesome for productivity and even with apps/games that don't support 21:9 it still gives you the same screen estate as a 27" 1440p monitor with none of the Windows UI/font scaling issues of 4k monitors.

 

 

I need that on my desk now..... :p

Posted
Would be good for finance departments, they always moan about not having enough screen space. It might look a bit ridiculous though to those walking past.
Posted (edited)

I was looking at this monitor a few weeks ago. It's very tempting and would certainly be a good stopgap until manufacturers make proper 4k Ultra HD monitors (i.e. 60Hz IPS with DP 1.3 and HDMI 2.0 ports) for a reasonable price. Apparently it also has a KVM switch built-in too, which is very useful. Amazon are currently selling it for £900-£1,100 which is almost double the price I paid for my Dell U2711. :(

 

Here's a link to the monitor on LG's website and the video Linus briefly showed...

 

www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

 

 

v63euMwNbz0b.jpg

Edited by Arthur
Posted
Amazon are currently selling it for £900-£1,100 which is almost double the price I paid for my Dell U2711. :(

 

I think the US retail price is $1000 and overclockers currently have it on pre-order for £800 so whilst it's very far from being cheap given the size and currently somewhat non-standard resolution it's not crazy over the top IMO. I nearly spent close to £500 for a 27" 1440p monitor not that long ago and I reckon this would be worth the extra outlay.

Posted (edited)
Overclockers currently have it on pre-order for £800

That's a bit more reasonable! OcUK are usually quite expensive compared to other retailers like Scan and eBuyer, so the monitor should be even cheaper still when it's in stock elsewhere.

 

www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-106-LG&groupid=17&catid=1120

 

The most frustrating thing for me about the 34UM95 is the fact that it only has a single DisplayPort port. This means that any additional computers you connect to the two HDMI inputs are limited to maximum resolution of 1920x1200 (@60Hz). I would need to spend a further £200+ on a DisplayPort KVM just to be able to run my other PCs at the native 3440x1440 resolution which is frankly ridiculous when you are already spending £800 on a monitor.

 

Would it have hurt LG to include 3 x DP inputs (especially since DisplayPort can be easily and cheaply converted to HDMI if required)? The two Thunderbolt ports can't even be used as inputs which is madness! :mad:

 

I nearly spent close to £500 for a 27" 1440p monitor not that long ago and I reckon this would be worth the extra outlay.

Either that or get a second 27" monitor. :)

 

For me, anything with a resolution lower than 2560x1440 would be a downgrade so the only choices would be the 34" LG or a 4K UHD display.

Edited by Arthur

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...