JMB Posted March 31, 2014 Posted March 31, 2014 This is a long shot, but I thought I'd ask. So, we have an admin PC. As far as I can tell, it's set up to share its C drive as follows: the whole C drive is mapped as F, the "public" folder in the C root is mapped as G, and other admin PCs across the school access this G drive. There is a script in the startup menu that seems to perform this action. Last Wednesday, the PCU died on the admin PC, so I swapped the HDDs into a working PC. Simple. I had a spare of the exact make and model, so that just seemed easier than dismantling it to get the PSU out (it's an old Viglen). However, when I booted into the PC and logged in as the Finance Manager, the contents of the "public" folder were gone (apart from a couple of stray files). So, I rang ScoMIS and got them to restore Wednesday night's Attix backup of that PC. The "public" folder is still empty. Utterly baffled, I got them to check all the backups since last September, and that folder shows up blank in all of them. My thinking is that either a) that folder has never been backed up by ScoMIS, and someone somehow deleted the contents on the PC and so we're left with nothing, or b) the G drive was never on that PC to begin with. Does anyone with any knowledge of standard ScoMIS admin PC setups or just weird data loss problems in general have any ideas? I've scanned the HDD and searched it for various things I know *should* be on the G drive, but I'm coming up blank.
Scomis Posted July 4, 2014 Posted July 4, 2014 This issue was responded to by Scomis. If any Scomis customers have questions please contact us. Details can be found at : www.scomis.org Thank you.
JMB Posted July 4, 2014 Author Posted July 4, 2014 That's true, the issue was logged with ScoMIS and they did respond - but they didn't fix the problem. Although ScoMIS did restore an Attix backup for us, there was nothing in this backup as it had been incorrectly configured to capture data from a different hard drive. After restoring the backup, ScoMIS could offer no further advice, and I needed help as quickly as possible, hence why I posted here. The issue was actually subsequently resolved by me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now