BFCIT Posted March 24, 2014 Posted March 24, 2014 Hi all, I was wondering if anybody has implemented an open source, remote access utility for staff to be able to remotely access the schools network from home and use 'sims', access 'files' and other 'applications'; basically map an external connection to an active Microsoft desktop session as if the end user was logging in on to the local area network. I have heard of Xenapp and have a little bit of an understanding, but I believe most people use Xenapp in a dedicated device such as a Citrix access gateway. I am interested to learn about success stories without the need for a dedicated device and advice regarding the approaches currently taken by other educational institutions, I would also be interested to learn about what would need to be considering in relation to licensing. Many thanks,
Axel Posted March 24, 2014 Posted March 24, 2014 There is a Gateway feature in Windows2008/2012 very similar to the Gateway feature in Citrix. (XenApp is unrelated to this) So a bog standard PC can do what you suggest. OK Windows isn't "Open Source" - but not its not exotic either. In both cases using the Gateway feature merely means the user opens up an SSL connection (HTTPS) to the Gateway, and the Gateway directs the connection to the application server/session. So the application server(s) is not visible externally, only the Gateway is visible externally over the internet (its essentially a website). There is a video showing a thin-client connecting over an RDP Gateway here : - the RDP client in any PC is equivalent.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now