Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Sorry or is it Modern Apps!

 

I've trying to remove some of the start menu crud like Games and Health and fitness with the powershell commands:

 

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

and

Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

 

However, the first command generates errors saying that each app is a part of windows and cannot be installed (really? games?!) and the second completes but the users still get all these apps showingon their start menu.

 

I want to remove these before prepping a Win8 image but can't seem to find any other way of doing it (MS suggest removing them from Add/Remove Features, but they're not in there!)

Posted
Does that mean manually removing each one? FFS, did MS ever realise that Windows 8.1 Enterprise might actually be used in a work environment!
Posted
Does that mean manually removing each one?

Nope!

 

# Remove Windows 8.1 RTM provisioned apps.

$AppList = "Microsoft.BingFinance",
          "Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink",
          "Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness",
          "Microsoft.BingMaps",
          "Microsoft.BingNews",
          "Microsoft.BingSports",
          "Microsoft.BingTravel",
          "Microsoft.BingWeather",
          "Microsoft.HelpAndTips",
          "Microsoft.Reader",
          "Microsoft.SkypeApp",
          "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms",
          "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator",
          "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps",
          "Microsoft.WindowsReadingList",
          "Microsoft.WindowsScan",
          "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder",
          "Microsoft.XboxLIVEGames",
          "Microsoft.ZuneMusic",
          "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"

ForEach ($App in $AppList) {
  $AppxPackage = Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Where {$_.DisplayName -eq $App}
  Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -packagename ($AppxPackage.PackageName)
  Remove-AppxPackage ($AppxPackage.PackageName)
}

  • Thanks 2
Posted

Lovely! Didn't fancy trawling through the output to get the exact names.

 

Its got rid of them, but users who already had profiles on the image still get the icons - I assume removing the apps only effects new users, which is fine as this is a new image I'm working on.

Posted
do it to your source install.wim that way they dont install. my install.wim removes apps i dont want and installs dot net 3.5 from the outset
Posted

I seem to have also removed the PC Settings app as well - whenever I click the link nothing happens!

 

Is there a way of just restoring that part? I think that and IE are possibly the only ones that would get used.

Posted

We use this code to remove all the merto apps during sysprep. (Skydrive, Photos and camera won't be removed)

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage –online

 

Don't need to specify names

Posted
Bu t does that also remove the PC settings part? I'm trying to set a default lock screen etc for the image. Its a shame MS haven't provided group policies for all this stuff.
Posted
...I'm trying to set a default lock screen etc for the image. Its a shame MS haven't provided group policies for all this stuff.

You can set default lock screen with GPO

 

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization

 

Force a specific default lock screen image.

 

If you are installing 8.1 you can also specify assent colours and start menu background from here as well.

 

William

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I keep forgetting to make sure I'm editing these policies from a Win8 machine! I use both Win7 and Win8 and sometimes the policy settings don't show on the 7 one.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...