Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Trying to convert a Linux box to a hyper-v vm

 

I imaged the Linux machine using acronis as the VM harddrive is smaller then I

restored the image fine to the vm, but it boots to a flashing cursor.

The only way I can get this to boot is by using supergrub, once booted I tried update-grub but it still won't boot..

 

Anyone had any similar experience ?

 

At this rate it would be just easier to reinstall Linux....

Posted

I fixed this, turns out my Linux machine was in UEFI mode, I had to convert to legacy then it booted

 

For future reference :

 

Download gparted

 

boot VM with the iso attached and boot from the iso

 

assuming the VM disk is GPT create a 1MB partition using gparted with an unformatted filesystem with a bios_grub flag) on the VM drive

 

reboot

 

then attach Linux-secure.iso (Linux-Secure-Remix | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net)

 

boot not booting VM with the iso attached (boot from cd)

 

Setup your networking / proxy once its booted (important)

 

start boot-repair

 

click advanced then go to the grub location tab

 

untick separate /boot/efi partition option

 

click apply then let it do its thing

 

reboot and fingers crossed it should work fine

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...