Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Our current setup I've never been really happy with but since I've inherited it I plan to make a few changes.

First thing I need a switch in the cab, we have a weird setup with the server cab being next door to the data cab (datapoints in the server room connected through the wall to the datacab) and there's not enough of them hence the switch.

 

So how do people uplink a switch in the cab ? multi links? - to trunk/lag or not ? How many ?

 

Also planning on putting more nics in the servers - currently there is only one in each, to increase throughput or failover. There's never really been a problem and the network isn't huge (200 machines)

If I do the teaming on the servers, is it good practice to lag the ports on the switch ?

 

If I lag the uplinks, do they pass vlan tags okay ?

Posted

Our stacks are linked to the core via fibre 4 x 10GB links. Each link goes a different route, our core is in another building to the majority of users. We have 2 different routes between buildings and they connect into 2 cores. At one time we can have 1 core switch down and 1 broken fibre cable.

 

The Stack next to the core switches are linked up via 4 x 10GB copper links.

Posted
Nice, ours pales in comparison. There's no disaster management at all - all cabs are linked with fibre (2 cores) with 1 gig uplink with usually 1-2 switches per cab (9 cabs total), switches are connected to each other with a single 1gig uplink and the servers have a single nic. There's been no real issues with bandwidth which is suprising but I would like to improve it if I can.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...