IT_Man_Dan Posted January 21, 2014 Posted January 21, 2014 Morning all, I've recently set Chrome as the default browser around campus via gpo with the admin templates which has worked well. The only issue I'm having is that Chrome won't allow the opening of local html files (like the ones generated in sims) and just comes up with a blocked message. I read somewhere that there is an addon available for chrome that allows the opening of local files. I've since forgotten where I read it. Does anyone know which addon I need? Many thanks
sonofsanta Posted January 21, 2014 Posted January 21, 2014 Have you blocked the file protocol in the GPO setting Google\Google Chrome\Disable URL protocol schemes? Chrome can do it by default IIRC, but blocking the file protocol is a security measure to stop them browsing the network - though permissions should limit the damage there anyway. 2
IT_Man_Dan Posted January 22, 2014 Author Posted January 22, 2014 @sonofsanta thanks for that, yes it was blocked. Hopefully I will see the issue is resolved now when people log on. Can you tell me of any other settings I should set to limit network browsing through chrome? Thanks
sonofsanta Posted January 22, 2014 Posted January 22, 2014 You might be able to do something with the Block access to a list of URLs policy but I've not tested that (as we've just blocked the file protocol here) - try adding some network paths there anyway and see how it behaves.
simpsonj Posted January 29, 2020 Posted January 29, 2020 Necro thread raising again... Just in case anyone else has this issue, I found the easiest solution was to add file://* to the Allow access to a list of URLs (Admin Templates/Google/Google Chrome GPO).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now