CyberNerd Posted December 11, 2013 Posted December 11, 2013 I really miss the old days. The anticipation of downloading the latest Office ISO's, the time spent testing the newest version on various system builds, the tiny workarounds we needed to avoid conflicts. The big day of the roll out, the training sessions, the complains and invariably fixing the bits we missed. It made me feel valued. Now it's all done for me I just get that sinking feeling. Best I conjurer up a system failure that will give me that valued feeling again...
Arthur Posted December 11, 2013 Posted December 11, 2013 I really miss the old days. Maybe one day we we able to do simple things like selecting non-contiguous cells in Google Sheets that we could do decades ago in other spreadsheet programs?
CyberNerd Posted December 11, 2013 Posted December 11, 2013 Maybe one day we we able to do simple things like selecting non-contiguous cells in Google Sheets that we could do decades ago in other spreadsheet programs? That is my backup plan that I'll propose to SLT. They'll soon cough up the annual EES monies to migrate back to MSOffice as soon as a teacher needs this feature. Unfortunately with four years of Google docs in school no one has yet asked me for it!. Back to the drawing board methinks.
CAM Posted December 11, 2013 Posted December 11, 2013 As someone who uses Excel to a very very high level, I am surprised that COUNTIF is only just making it's way in! Mind you, in comparison to Excel, both the Google and SkyDrive offers fall well short of being a full replacement.
Arthur Posted December 11, 2013 Posted December 11, 2013 They'll soon cough up the annual EES monies to migrate back to MS Office as soon as a teacher needs this feature. LibreOffice Calc can do what I mentioned above and that is free. There isn't any need to buy an EES subscription. I bet Lotus 1-2-3 could as well, but that's a bit before my time. with four years of Google Docs in school no one has yet asked me for it! I find that very surprising. Perhaps it's one of those things that people put up with and suffer in silence? Surely there must be some features that you wish Google Docs had which it doesn't currently?
sparkeh Posted December 12, 2013 Posted December 12, 2013 Looks like its not actually ready yet: Warning: some features aren’t ready yet. Protected sheets and ranges Notification rules Spell check API support Also All spreadsheets you create in the future will use the new Google Sheets. Your existing spreadsheets will continue to open with the old version. Bit of a bummer if you wish to use an old sheet in the new version. http://g.co/newsheets
CyberNerd Posted December 12, 2013 Posted December 12, 2013 I find that very surprising. Perhaps it's one of those things that people put up with and suffer in silence? Teachers are usually quite vocal about things they need Surely there must be some features that you wish Google Docs had which it doesn't currently? Indeed; like having to use the API to access users documents without things being shared with me, not being able to embed video other than URL's, The insanity of having to post to a domain restricted youtube channel needing a G+ account, the lack of table functionality in documents. ...but we don't get many complaints about spreadsheets As someone who uses Excel to a very very high level, I am surprised that COUNTIF is only just making it's way in! Mind you, in comparison to Excel, both the Google and SkyDrive offers fall well short of being a full replacement. COUNTIF isn't a new feature.
CyberNerd Posted December 12, 2013 Posted December 12, 2013 Mailmerge. That is something sheets could improve on. It does a good job of email mail merges, but I do have to tell staff to use libreoffice if they want a paper mail merge.
Arthur Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 Google Presentations has a new feature too. http://i.imgur.com/Eqx7THQ.png
6Foot2 Posted September 14, 2015 Author Posted September 14, 2015 With the Explore panel in Google Sheets, you can now spend less time trying to decipher your data, and more time making a point. Explore creates charts and insights automatically, so you can visualize trends and understand your data in seconds...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now