wesleyw Posted September 20, 2007 Posted September 20, 2007 Someone has suggested this is down to MySQL and it needs tweaking. Any ideas? We're running the following: PHP Version 5.2.3 NetBSD netmanager 3.1_STABLE NetBSD 3.1_STABLE MySQL 4.1.22 Moodle 1.7.1+ Wes
Geoff Posted September 20, 2007 Posted September 20, 2007 How have you come to the conclusion it's MySQL?
wesleyw Posted September 20, 2007 Author Posted September 20, 2007 The rest of the websites we have running on the server seem completely unaffected. Wes
Geoff Posted September 20, 2007 Posted September 20, 2007 Download mysqlreport and post the results of mysqlreport --all
wesleyw Posted September 20, 2007 Author Posted September 20, 2007 13# mysqlreport -all mysqlreport: Command not found. All I get is the message above when trying to run it. I know I'm doing something wrong. I run this at the command line? or the MySQL command line or somewhere else? Wes
Geoff Posted September 20, 2007 Posted September 20, 2007 You need to use two dashes. Additionally, the current directory is not in your path. Also, you may need to modify the files permissions to make it executable.
danIT Posted September 20, 2007 Posted September 20, 2007 Did you upgrade from a previous version of Moodle or is this a fresh install? Also what authentication method are you using for students? EDIT: Ive also found this, Try this php script (Attached) by copying into the root of your moodle directory where your moodle config.php is located. Run by browsing to http://my.moodle.com/moodle/mdl-db-opt.php. Move it out of that directory when you're done with it. There's no guarantee it will make any difference but it will run the mysql CHECK, OPTIMIZE and ANALYZE (REPAIR also if needed) statements on all your tables. As usual, switch moodle to maintenance mode, wait for all the users to be logged off and backup your database (mysqldump) before attempting to run the script. You may need to allocate quite some time to this operation. There seems to be some issues with indexes, multiple.mdl-db-opt.txtmdl-db-opt_100.txt
wesleyw Posted September 20, 2007 Author Posted September 20, 2007 @Geoff: Moved it into my apache root directory and tried to run it still no joy how would I check which directories are in the path? Wes
wesleyw Posted September 20, 2007 Author Posted September 20, 2007 @Geoff put it in a directory that was in the path but still no luck: 36 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 34145 Sep 20 22:24 mysqlreport /usr/bin netmanager 8# ./mysqlreport ./mysqlreport: Command not found. netmanager 9# mysqlreport mysqlreport: Command not found. It's an upgrade from version 1.5, 1.6 et cetera. It's using IMAP authentication. The Logins aren't too slow it's just using the VLE itself thats very slow. Wes
robknowles Posted September 21, 2007 Posted September 21, 2007 We are also having the same problems with Moodle (1.8) slowing down with more than a few users. However, we are running it on MS-SQL Server and I don't think that's causing the issues since other databases on that server seem fine. I've tried both using the file system for Session States and moved using the database for storing it instead - this made next to no difference. I'm running it on IIS using PHP 5.2.3. I'm going to move over the Apache to see if that makes any difference. We also use AD Authentication so I'm going to look at that possibly as well.
wesleyw Posted September 21, 2007 Author Posted September 21, 2007 We're using IMAP authentication so if the problem is related its the code with Moodle I should think? Wes
wesleyw Posted September 21, 2007 Author Posted September 21, 2007 Missing Perl so it won't run! I'm not going to install Perl on it either as it got properitary code that throws a hissy fit when perl is installed (previous experience lol) Wes
Geoff Posted September 21, 2007 Posted September 21, 2007 You can run it from a remote host you know...
wesleyw Posted September 21, 2007 Author Posted September 21, 2007 Oh? Does it need to run on a linux install? Wes
Geoff Posted September 21, 2007 Posted September 21, 2007 Well you could try it with ActivePerl and Cygwin on windows if you wanted. I've no idea if it works though.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now