birchanger Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 This posting could go in one of many of the forums, but this one may have the best-informed readers. I hope. I've spent much of the last few weeks trying - and, on the whole, failing - to get an environment together allowing older students to program i.e. create and run arbitrary .exes without it being too easy for them to trash the computer or network. I've gone through a few iterations: 1) Use a separate partition. I used MDT 2010 to apply a custom image to a second partition on our Win7 clients. The custom image was off-domain and I'd blocked access to the 'main' partition and applied other restrictions using local policy. The end of the custom image deployment task sequence ran bcdedit to give the new partition a distinctive name. A startup script on the school domain made the currently-running OS the default. In other words after installing the custom image all I had to do to make that image non-default was to force a boot into the main partition then a GPO would make sure that that became the default image. This worked, and performed, well, but then MDT 2012 came along and I can no longer get it to install into a second partition without trashing the main one. I'm sure it can't be that hard to do, playing with the diskpart script, but I gave up. I tried investigation MDT-created VHds, but gave up on that one, too. so, plan 2) Use virtual machines I built an off-domain image into a VM and tried that. the first discovery was that MS Virtual PC needs virtualisation support, and the systems in the ICT rooms lacked it. OK, let's try VirtualBox. Next problem: not enough memory. OK, added a few gig to each device. This worked for a few weeks until Windows needed to reactivate itself against our KMS server. It failed. My assumption was that it was because the VMs were all cloned. I didn't want to push a newly-syspreped image out as the students would get lumbered with the OOBE, so that meant try something else. 3) Push out an empty VirtualBox machine and disk, then perform an MDT build into it. The image is on-domain but disposable, as a VM, and access to almost everything has been blocked by: blocking GPO inheritance; loopback processing and new GPOs where needed. The problems: PXE boot and network access is slow. PXE boot fails when there's even the slightest hint of a load. It took me from 4.30 to midnight to install the VMs in 9 machines. That leaves me 33 to do. Worse, it takes the students forever to log on twice (once into the physical; once into the virtual). In fact it's not usable. So now I need plan number 4, but don't yet know what it is. What do (would) you do?
synaesthesia Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 Search for virtualbox on these forums; there's some good solutions around (if I do say so myself!) that work really, really well. 1
Steve21 Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 We're using it with Virtualbox. Deploying premade Ubuntu image. So no activation (No network access at all on the virtual machine), just one shared folder that directly links into the machine through Virtualbox. Teachers may not like the fact it's Linux, but without them paying for a lot of Windows licenses, and issues like activation it seems easiest way. And it's not hard to learn, especially if you premake the image with shortcuts to the programs etc. Steve
birchanger Posted October 10, 2013 Author Posted October 10, 2013 We're using it with Virtualbox. Deploying premade Ubuntu image. So no activation (No network access at all on the virtual machine), just one shared folder that directly links into the machine through Virtualbox. Teachers may not like the fact it's Linux, but without them paying for a lot of Windows licenses, and issues like activation it seems easiest way. And it's not hard to learn, especially if you premake the image with shortcuts to the programs etc. Steve I foresee one problem - running VB under Linux!
Steve21 Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 I foresee one problem - running VB under Linux! Didn't see any mention of visual basic? Steve
birchanger Posted October 10, 2013 Author Posted October 10, 2013 I didn't mention any technology, but assumed that .exe creation would be considered likely. Thing is, the dual-partition method worked well, until someone went and installed MDT 2012. My latest solution - domain VirtualBox VMs being built by MDT - meets the required functionality but won't bloody well build from the network, and is too slow. Everything I try nearly works except for something biting me in the bum.
CyberNerd Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 We just gave them administrator rights on windows machines over ovirt. Reboot == clean machine.
synaesthesia Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 Don't do that! Local virtual machines, not anywhere near the network. That would increase things to go wrong on the network, increases network accounts. Pointless. Local machine, no network connection, just a shared drive (set up by vbox itself) to connect to the users home drive (which it does via the host again not touching the network). If you want to play safe, immutable hard drives on the guest so anything they do is wiped when they shut down the guest. As said, do a search on here and there's walkthroughs on doing it.
CyberNerd Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 Don't do that! Local virtual machines, not anywhere near the network. That would increase things to go wrong on the network, increases network accounts. Pointless. It's fine. Put them into a Firewalled "Student PC" network with really limited access, no network accounts and *much* easier to manage than local VM's.
synaesthesia Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 Manage them? What for? Immutable disks, put them in place, don't ever touch again!
CyberNerd Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 Manage them? What for? Immutable disks, put them in place, don't ever touch again! You might need to do things like install software, patches or even replicate them for others to use. An example is that we can let anyone in the school access the VM from wherever they are, it is quite neat - plus I don't need to go around to each machine to install the VM.
synaesthesia Posted October 10, 2013 Posted October 10, 2013 Ah, fair enough. We don't have the server grunt for that No need to patch the machines as they're offline and sole purpose here. Half an hour job to install software to the image and push it back out to the machines that run it which is the only real downside.
dhicks Posted October 11, 2013 Posted October 11, 2013 (edited) What do (would) you do? Linux server, integrated with Samba and complete with separate home folder for each pupil, for pupils to log in to via SSH or Remote Desktop. Edit: sorry, for some odd reason I didn't see the rest of the thread - a Linux machine might not be suitible for what you're trying to do. I think there's a c# implemenation available for Linux, I'm not sure about Visual Basic. Edited October 11, 2013 by dhicks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now