Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Afternoon all,

 

Trying to work out what's the official way of upgrading IE8 admx to IE10 through the central store.

 

Installed IE10 which has placed the admx file within the local store, but obviously this can't be used with the central store.

 

Tried a direct copy/replace, and it breaks things.

 

I'm guessing doing a full remove, then reimport would lose all the already configured settings for IE8?

 

Thanks,

Steve

Posted

Download the latest ADMXs/ADMLs from here and then overwrite the old files in the central store. You can also delete any language folders you don't need - I just keep 'en-US' and 'en-GB'.

 

Posted
Download the latest ADMXs/ADMLs from here and then overwrite the old files in the central store. You can also delete any language folders you don't need - I just keep 'en-US' and 'en-GB'.

 

 

Doesn't that only work for Server 2012/Win8? Or is IE10 counted within that?

 

Also just trying to overwrite the file in central store is bringing up errors, wouldn't that do the same if I copied that one over?

 

Thanks,

Steve

Posted
Doesn't that only work for Server 2012/Win8?

No. Those ADMXs work fine on a Windows 7 / 2008 R2 network.

 

Or is IE10 counted within that?

The latest inetres.admx which supports IE10 is included.

 

just trying to overwrite the file in central store is bringing up errors

Could you post the error message you are getting?

  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
Posted

Hi Guys,

 

We currently run Win 7 clients with a 2008 R2 server.

 

At the moment they are running IE9 but I want to get them running IE10.

 

Obviously we did have our proxy settings configured via the old internet maintenance method within a GPO that has now changed.

 

Here's what I've done so far:

 

I've downloaded and unpacked the Windows Server 2012 admx files onto the 2008 R2 server (as shown in video in this thread).

 

I haven't yet copied the files into the central store due to having the following questions.

 

1. Will all existing GPO's remain as set and work correctly once I copy in the new updated files?

 

2. Someone mentions that in order to use the new policies correctly you need server 2012? Is this the case or will I be able to set the internet explorer settings via new method on the 2008 R2 server once I've imported the policies?

 

3. Is this fine to copy the files into the central store on my live network or should it be done out of hours?

 

4. Anything else I should know?

 

 

Thanks for your advice.

Posted
Hi Guys,

 

We currently run Win 7 clients with a 2008 R2 server.

 

At the moment they are running IE9 but I want to get them running IE10.

 

Obviously we did have our proxy settings configured via the old internet maintenance method within a GPO that has now changed.

 

Here's what I've done so far:

 

I've downloaded and unpacked the Windows Server 2012 admx files onto the 2008 R2 server (as shown in video in this thread).

 

I haven't yet copied the files into the central store due to having the following questions.

 

1. Will all existing GPO's remain as set and work correctly once I copy in the new updated files?

 

2. Someone mentions that in order to use the new policies correctly you need server 2012? Is this the case or will I be able to set the internet explorer settings via new method on the 2008 R2 server once I've imported the policies?

 

3. Is this fine to copy the files into the central store on my live network or should it be done out of hours?

 

4. Anything else I should know?

 

 

Thanks for your advice.

 

Once you install IE10 on Server 2008 R2, it'll also include the latest GPOs for IE10 in Group Policy. As for deploying proxy settings, have a look here

 

To answer your other questions, overriding the ADMX templates won't actually change your GPO settings. Each revision of the same template gets larger with every Server OS.

 

Some of the new GPOs, you'll need Server 2012 or Windows 8/8.1 with RSAT.

 

You can copy the files live. There's no harm, but you're right to proceed with caution.

Posted

@Michael thanks for your reply.

 

Just to confirm after skim reading your other thread, If I import these admx files as described in video above to my 2008 R2 DC will I be able to set my IE10 settings on the 2008 R2 server through the new way (user preferences> Control panel settings> Internet settings)? At the moment I can see the new route in gpo management console but I only have the option to create new rules for IE5 - 8. I assumed the new admx files would be the ones to include IE10 and let me configure them?

 

Thanks

Posted

In this scenario you can't, you would need a 2012 or Windows 8 machine. This is why myself and a lot of other techs on here have used my GPP method to deploy proxy settings. This can be achieved from either 2008 R2 or Windows 7.

 

Personally I'd only import these new GPOs if you are going to run Windows 8 machines. If you're not, then use my recommend GPP method.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Hi

 

I've installed IE10 on one of our test 2008 R2 SP1 servers and got the inetres.admx and adml files. I've copied these files to the group policy central store (having copied the old files first), but now when I run group policy editor I get the following error. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using GP editor version 6.0.0.1 from a W2K8 R2 server.

 

Thanks

 

Phil

 

error.JPG

Posted

Have you tried completely deleting the old files, allow replication and add the new files back in?

 

Also you would need a Windows 8 device or a Windows 2012 server , to be able to manage the new template. Older devices will not see the newer settings.

Posted
Hi

 

I've installed IE10 on one of our test 2008 R2 SP1 servers and got the inetres.admx and adml files. I've copied these files to the group policy central store (having copied the old files first), but now when I run group policy editor I get the following error. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using GP editor version 6.0.0.1 from a W2K8 R2 server.

 

Thanks

 

Phil

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21812[/ATTACH]

 

When you install IE10 or IE11 on Server 2008 R2, this also includes the latest policy files. You don't need to do anything, it's all automatic.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...