MattRVBC Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 Hi All, Is anyone aware of any Group Policy issues with Windows 7 on a 2003 domain? I ave read mixed stories relating to this subject and I currently have several machines across our network that have some parts of a GPO applied but not others (Windows service permissions being the major one). For some reason the settings within the applied GPO don't match the workstation which only seems to be apparent on Windows 7 and not XP Pro. After reading this TechNet article it seems that you can create windows 7 policies with either Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7 + RSAT and them export them and import them into a 2003 domain\environment? has anyone else come across this issues end exported policies? Cheers Matt
tmcd35 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 Not tried it, but doesn't Win7 uses a different version of user profiles that's not compatible with Win2k3? I'm sure that's the issue we've run into in the past. 1
Quackers Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 We ran Windows 7 with 2003 DCs for 2 years no problem.
fiza Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 Hi All, Is anyone aware of any Group Policy issues with Windows 7 on a 2003 domain? it seems that you can create windows 7 policies with either Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7 + RSAT and them export them and import them into a 2003 domain\environment? has anyone else come across this issues end exported policies? Cheers Matt I dont think you need to import them as such. Use a Windows 7 machine which is connected to your 2003 domain. Install RSAT and configure the Windows 7 GPOs from there. They still apply on your 2003 domain but only to win7 machines. You just cant configure them using your 2003 DC. 1
chazzy2501 Posted July 17, 2013 Posted July 17, 2013 as above, I have a 2000 forest and a 2003 domain it still does Windows 7 just fine. I use a Win7 workstation to create the group policies for xp vista and 7 (and Group policy Preferences) and it all works great. And Windows 8 clients and 2012 member servers all follow the GPOs just fine as well.
MattRVBC Posted July 17, 2013 Author Posted July 17, 2013 Thanks Guys, The issue I ave is a little strange, Im using RSAT on my Windows 7 PC which I use to apply GPO. The problem being is that system services seem to have different permissions set on the client as supposed to the GPO which I cant figure out. At the moment the permissions on the client are set the everyone which leaves me vulnerable to service escalation attacks. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Matt
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now