vortex999 Posted July 12, 2013 Posted July 12, 2013 Hello all, We have 5 External IP addresses setup to allow remote access for some members off staff, now these all work perfectly fine with windows XP. However I have just converted one user over to windows 7(finally) and now it appears to have broken it! I have enabled remote desktop on the machine and set her domain info as an allowed user. I have reserved her machines IP address and replaced the old one within the firewall to forward to her machine. I have allowed access in her dial in tab on AD. It would appear that she is able to contact her machine with the external IP address but she receives the error: "must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal serices right. By default, members of Remote desk top users group have this right must be granted manually" Am i missing something windows 7 specific here? It works for my office machine, but I have admin rights which I don't want to give to her. Thanks.
vortex999 Posted July 12, 2013 Author Posted July 12, 2013 Okay so I was being dumb! Turns out you have to do this as well, I had done part 1 but not part 3: First we'll make sure your user account is a member of the Remote Desktop Users group: Right click Computer or My Computer and then click Properties. Click the Remote Settings link or the Remote tab if you are on XP. Click the Select Users or Select Remote Users button. If your user name is not listed in there, click Add and enter your user name. Click Ok and Ok again to dismiss both dialogs. [*]Once you are done, try reconnecting. If you can connect, stop here - we're done. If you still see the error message continue to step 3. [*]We're almost done. Next, we'll grant the Remote Desktop Users group the right to log on: Click Start then click Run. Enter secpol.msc and click Ok. The Local Security Poloicy window should open up. Expand the Local Policies node and click User Rights Assignment. On the right hand side, double click Allow log on through Terminal Services or Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services. Click Add User or Group and enter Remote Desktop Users. Click Ok and Ok again to dismiss both dialog boxes. Restart your PC, wait for a few minutes and try to reconnect using Jump 1
vortex999 Posted July 15, 2013 Author Posted July 15, 2013 Update: My user reports that this still does not work!? I'm out of ideas.
sted Posted July 15, 2013 Posted July 15, 2013 (edited) does it work internally inside the building? and if the pcvs are domained domain policies might very well wipe out local ones anyway Edited July 15, 2013 by sted 1
vortex999 Posted July 15, 2013 Author Posted July 15, 2013 I have now applied this setting via GPO as well! and made my user a member of the Remote desktop users group. Fingers crossed !
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now