elsiegee40 Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 We have a Sharp MX3110N MFP which is all lovely and shiny and we can print to to it. No problems there. The help function for this machine is useless and the manual non-existent Is it possible to set a default folder on the network for this copier to Scan to? What we'd like to do is set it up so a user can scan by default to a folder on one of our network shares and then pick it up to use it from there. Or should we be doing this in reverse, mapping the public area on the MFP, so that people can pick the scans off the MFP?
MatthewL Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 How many users are you looking to have folders for? There are a number of options, you can scan to one folder and then users pick it up from there, you can scan to individual folders which is a pain from an admin point of view if a number and thirdly you can use Sharpdesk which you get one license per colour Sharp MFD. This allows you to scan directly to the PC and use various tools with it. To scan to folder you need to ensure you DNS is specified on the web page of the copier and then go to Address Book and add a new address, select the network folder option and specify the path of the folder i.e. \\server\data\finance\scans or \\servers\users\userame. Create or use an account that has permissions to write to these folders, I generally just create a generic account with no password expire set, enter in format of fqdn\username and tick password and enter it and save it up. This should work if you scan a page now. If you get stuck let me know, most of that is from memory but will be in front of a Sharp machine first thing Monday when I get into work. 1
elsiegee40 Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 Thank you @MatthewL, you've given me a good start I won't be in front of the copier until the back end of next week, but I'll be in touch if/when I get stuck.
CyberNerd Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 t will be in front of a Sharp machine first thing Monday when I get into work. Ouch. On a different and completely different note, and in an attempt to completely derail this thread: how do you find sharp MFD's and their support. I'm considering buying into them
CyberNerd Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 On a different and completely different note, and in an attempt to completely derail this thread: how do you find sharp MFD's and their support. I'm considering buying into them I tried to get things back on track by starting a new thread here http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/110433-sharp-managed-mfds-papercut.html
elsiegee40 Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 I've had precisely 1 day's exposure to this machine, so I can't comment on it really. I've just been told what it doesn't do and am trying to work the wretched thing out. Basically, it behaves itself from what I can gather. It just hasn't been set up as anything other than a printer.
CyberNerd Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 I've had precisely 1 day's exposure to this machine, so I can't comment on it really. I've just been told what it doesn't do and am trying to work the wretched thing out. Basically, it behaves itself from what I can gather. It just hasn't been set up as anything other than a printer. Cool.. (not for you, though) I just met a rep from sharp and wanted to throw it out here to get some feel from real world experience. Any chance you could phone their support on Monday and let me know how/if they respond. Whilst you on the phone - tell them that the machine is on fire and test out the 4hr response
elsiegee40 Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 Unfortunately I'm at other schools for most of the week.
CyberNerd Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 Unfortunately I'm at other schools for most of the week. perhaps you could set fire to them remotely? I'd be ever so grateful.
elsiegee40 Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 (edited) Hmmm! I'll take a look at logmein. I don't remember seeing it on the console ... Not in the free version anyway! Edited March 15, 2013 by elsiegee40 1
MatthewL Posted March 16, 2013 Posted March 16, 2013 You can VNC to Sharp machines, you need to allow it under operation settings, you need to put the IP in of where you are connecting from. I have never had the need to speak to Sharp, the local engineers from the company who supplied me fix any issues if there are any, its mainly jams where staff are impatient. I find them really simple machines compared to say Toshiba. All the drivers and manuals are available to download online, I've yet to have one fail on me. @elsiegee40 drop me a line if you get stuck, will help you through.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now